Tidal Hi-Res FLAC - Available (?) Now

UPDATE

I’m listening on TIDAL Hi-Res FLAC as of now (Thom Yorke - Black Swan).

… on our last prototype of a new product we’ll launch soon.

That’s cutting edge, I guess :wink:

(show-off mode disabled)

6 Likes

That’s great! Then this means we’ll soon be able to do this on Volumio builds as well?

Yes, but that depends also when TIDAL gives us green light

5 Likes

A couple of updates:

• Hi-res FLAC is now availavle in Chromecast devices.
  • Tidal apps now show bitrate / resolution if Max quality = FLAC

So, coupled with @volumio 's Black Swan teaser… it “feels” we’re getting closer.

1 Like

Looking forward to taking advantage of all that Tidal has to offer in High Resolution FLAC offerings. Please let us know when the update will be released. Thanks

3 Likes

Good news. We got green ligth from TIDAL.

Now we will perform extensive testing, and if all is well, new release with High-res FLAC will be out on 8th November :wink:

8 Likes

Great News, thank you Michelangelo!

This is fantastic news! Thanks for the update, work and support!

1 Like

Does that mean that both Tidal in Volumio and Tidal Connect will stream high-res flacs?

Yes, that’s the plan.

4 Likes

new Volumio update!!!
I’m playing 192khz flac via tidal connect now!!!
Allo USBridge Sig(rpi)

This is a beta update, you are advised not to set in test mode and update

Will Hi-Res get priority over MQA (like in the Tidal apps) or will we be able to choose freely between the two formats (if both are available)?

This is fantastic news! :smiley: I got my RIVO yesterday, and was very disappointed that European streaming product of the year RIVO did not have highres on Tidal, I thought it did, but now I am seeing hope here! Thanks for you efforts!! Looking forward to 8th of November!! :star_struck:

Regarding Tidal MQA; will you implement unfolding 1 like ifi Zen Stream and Roon core does in SW?
This would also have been a very nice feature, but releasing SW for highres FLAC is more important of course!

I just installed the beta version of the Volumio update on a PC connected to my Pro-Ject DAC.

When playing from the Tidal app using Tidal Connect, it behaves in the expected Tidal way.
Albums available in both Hi-Res and mqa will be played as Hi-Res no matter if the mqa version is in higher resolution.
E.g. https://tidal.com/browse/album/217554095
Albums available only as mqa will be played as such.
E.g. https://tidal.com/browse/album/2400318
However, if played from the Tidal embedded in Volumio, both will be played as mqa.
From there, albums only available as Hi-Res will be played as redbook.
E.g. https://tidal.com/browse/album/121047424
So, in a way you actually CAN choose between Hi-Res and mqa.
You just have to choose the right place to play from - and keep track of which albums are available in which formats.
Not the most elegant way, but you get access to both mqa and the albums only available in Hi-Res (there are certainly quite a few of my favourites).
Now, I just hope that Pro-ject will get their act together and implement these updates as well in their customised version of Volumio.

Hi!

HighRes FLAC Tidal/Tidal-Connect update will be released today? :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

Yes

2 Likes

Can you tell at what time?
Then I don’t need to check all the time;-)

1 Like

Expectations set for today!

@mich it’s out now :wink:

This release took longer than anticipated since some devices cannot be updated straight via OTA (because of PI5 support). But now it’s live

Enjoy!

4 Likes