Tidal Hi-Res FLAC - Available (?) Now

Is there a way to limit that either in Tidal or Volumio?

With Tidal the quality settings are low high or max, high is 16 bit, 44.1kHz (cd quality), no idea about volumio just look in the settings.

It’s fun testing a few but it shouldn’t select the 192kHz tracks by default you’d think, based on network quality too isn’t it?

Hi, @volumio . I have allo sparky with usbridge. Will I receive Hi-Res FLAC updates?

Update: now Hi-Res FLAC is also available in the native TIDAL integration in Volumio.

No need to update, just restart your device and you’ll have it in all its glory

5 Likes

"Hi, I want to ask if Volumio is having trouble connecting to Tidal and Qobuz services. Today, suddenly, it stopped searching in these services. I did a new installation to check if the problem wasn’t on my end, but it still doesn’t work on the new one. Thank you for your response.

Yes there is an outage going on in our infra.

See

https://status.volumio.com/

We are investigating

I just hope you manage to sort it out. Thank you for the quick response.

Meanwhile Tidal Connect still works.

UPDATE: We’ve identified the issue, it’s an upstream error generated by inconsistent states of Github APIs. This unfortunately does not depend on us (but we can work around it).

The services are now back and are working fine, except translations which are not updated properly

Thanks for the update! I’d been testing it since the weekend when I spotted all of Tool’s albums to be FLAC 96/24 through the native UI Tidal section. It’s a lot quicker and more stable than the Tidal Connect function at the moment.

What’s still surprising is that, still as of yet, not everything that’s available in Max hi-res FLAC through the official app and Tidal Connect is available/visible through the UI. For example, I’ve found several cases where the official Tidal app shows albums in Max FLAC 88.2/24 or another hi-res format, and the native Volumio integration doesn’t see them and shows their FLAC 44.1/16 non-MQA or MQA variants instead.

I guess it could be a matter of time and catalogue updates?

UPDATE 2: Turned out to be an IPV6 resolution issue on one of our servers.

Now everything is back to normal, including translations.

Dear Volumio, this morning I started my Volumio 3 streamer, and it’s working just as it should. My discovery was that now all the albums previously labeled as ‘master’ on Tidal no longer play solely as MQA but as Hi-Res. That’s great. It feels like Volumio wanted to phase out MQA compression, which is fantastic. Thank you for the outstanding work, keep it up

actually is Tidal that wants to phase-out MQA, because the company developing MQA went bankrupt

It’s working but mostly borong mainstream music.
Clearer but seems to lack bass.

I didn’t mean it in a negative way; MQA had its purpose. It had its advantages, like compressing the stream so that it could be transmitted without loss of information at lower data rates and then unfolded by a DAC with MQA support. However, it’s worth noting that such devices were much more expensive than those without support. The ones without MQA support usually could only play CD quality. I think MQA was often misunderstood, which led to a lot of opposition. I’m not among the opposers, but I’m glad I can choose between just CD or hi-res quality."

1 Like

In my opinion MQA was pure snake oil, I am very happy that it’s going to die.

if you are curios why I think this, please have a look here:

3 Likes

Usually MQA is 88, if you got the capable DAC.
Happy with 24 bit whatever in flac, good thats rolled out. Can only assume MQA will be phased out.

Thank you for the link to Audio Science Review. It was enlightening, but it just reaffirmed my opinion that MQA is merely marketing and doesn’t enhance the quality.

I think MQA indeed doesn’t improve quality, but they are making/remixing the sound more to the main stream listener likings.

Same I have doubts on the fact that people swear that Vinyl sounds better. Even though Audio technician manipulate the tracks, before they press it. So yes you might hear things better because they amplified certain frequencies.
Is it better quality? No, does it sounds different/better? it might but that is a very personal thing.

Hi. What I mean is that there’s still a difference between what the Tidal native app (and thus Tidal Connect) displays and plays back vs. what the Volumio integration does.

Take, for example, Steven Wilson’s catalogue: the album Hand.Cannot.Erase appears 3 times: Standard, Deluxe, and Super Deluxe versions.

The Standard version (Hand Cannot Erase by Steven Wilson on TIDAL) appears as MAX quality FLAC 96/24 and plays back as such through the official app and Tidal Connect. But if you look for it through Volumio, you’ll see all 3 versions, only they’ll all be 44.1/16 FLAC. I’m just curious as to why this is, and if they’ll balance out eventually.