Streaming and control from same mobile hotspot

Hello there. Just feeling my way with Volumio – would welcome any help.

Wondering if this ‘out in the wilds’ setup is possible:

• WiFi enabled Raspi with batteries (have this already), Volumio would be installed.

• Andriod phone with hotspot running.

• Phone controls Volumio.

• Music (eg Tidal) is streamed over same phone’s 4g.

Found a few hopeful posts but they tend to drill down into details that go over my head. Main focus seems to be on Volumio hosting a hotspot, rather than joining a hotspot, for configuration.

Based on forum searching and basic/naive understanding, is one step along the road like this: Raspi/Volumio connected to phone hotspot (for streaming), with another phone connected to same hotspot (for control), so now it’s like a mobile version of a home wifi network? So then the final step is for the two phones to be the same one, maybe with some jiggery pokery?

Many thanks

Sounds interesting, I guess you could give it a go. My guess is that it won’t work as the phone and Volumio will be on different networks: the phone’s browser to access Volumio will be on 4G and Volumio will be on wifi via the phone.

I was doing that, back in time…

the trick is to obtain the IP address of the Volumio system connected to the hotspot (in my case it was shown on a OLED display, but I thinkyou could do the same with an app running on your phone).

when you know the IP address, you can control the Volumio device typing the ip addess on your favorite browser on the smartphone

you will most probably need another phone for the first setup, once the hotspot wifi name and password is saved in the Volumio system, it’s not really required anymore

Thanks people.

Forgot the detail that I’d like to switch between connecting to home WiFi and phone hotspot.

Is there a ‘make this connection if the first one fails’ option, with the second one being the hotspot, when I’m out of WiFi range?

Failing that, maybe this ‘double hotspot’ scheme would work?:

Start phone hotspot
Start Volumio. No Wifi so Volumio hotspot starts.
Connect phone to Volumio hotspot
Change Volumio configuration so it connects to phone’s hotspot.

TIA

the trick is to use the same SSID and password on both your home network and hotspot

O my. That’s brilliant. So simple. Many thanks.