Spotify Connect - Playback stops after about 2 seconds

Hello,

I have a brand new Raspberry Pi 4 with 8 GB of RAM
The connection is via a Ethernet Cable
My internet connection has around 20 MBit/s
So I think the basis of the setup is pretty stable.

My problem:
When I freshly write the image to a SD-Card Spotify Connect works flawless.

As soon as I remove the power (I do not shut down the Pi - I just pull the plug) the problem starts.
(I also tried it with shutting it down)

If I connect with Spotify Connect it only plays a few seconds (2-3 seconds) and then pauses. If I hit play again, it again pauses after 2 seconds.
Sometimes it also disconnects but that is not often happening.

So far what I see in the logs, when the event happens:

info: [1695505516984] ControllerSpotify::pushState
info: CoreCommandRouter::servicePushState
info: CoreStateMachine::pushState
info: CoreCommandRouter::executeOnPlugin: volumiodiscovery , saveDeviceInfo
info: CoreCommandRouter::volumioPushState
[SpotifyConnect]  Sink acquired
info: Acquiring new spotify session
info: CoreCommandRouter::volumioStop
info: CoreStateMachine::stop
info: CoreStateMachine::serviceStop
info: CoreCommandRouter::serviceStop
[SpotifyConnect] Spotify Received stop
[Vollibrespot] : Pause
[Vollibrespot] : Event: Pause { track_id: SpotifyId { id: 110297920219393966574960660487925683060, audio_type: Track }, position_ms: 1648 }
[SpotifyConnect]  Pause
[SpotifyConnect]  pause

or a bit more detailed:

info: Checking Spotify Web API
[SpotifyConnect] Vollibrespot Active
info: CoreStateMachine::setConsumeUpdateService undefined
info: [1695505517995] ControllerSpotify::pushState
[Vollibrespot] : Event: SinkInactive
[Vollibrespot] : Event: PlaybackStopped { track_id: SpotifyId { id: 110297920219393966574960660487925683060, audio_type: Track } }
[SpotifyConnect]  PlaybackInactive
info: [1695505518025] ControllerSpotify::pushState
kernel reports TIME_ERROR: 0x41: Clock Unsynchronized
[Vollibrespot] : Event: Play { track_id: SpotifyId { id: 110297920219393966574960660487925683060, audio_type: Track }, position_ms: 2036 }
[SpotifyConnect]  play
[Vollibrespot] : Event: SinkActive
[SpotifyConnect]  There Goes The Fear
info: [1695505657743] ControllerSpotify::pushState
[SpotifyConnect]  Sink acquired
info: Acquiring new spotify session
info: CoreCommandRouter::volumioStop
info: CoreStateMachine::stop
info: CoreStateMachine::serviceStop
info: CoreCommandRouter::serviceStop
[SpotifyConnect] Spotify Received stop
[Vollibrespot] : Pause
[Vollibrespot] : Event: Pause { track_id: SpotifyId { id: 110297920219393966574960660487925683060, audio_type: Track }, position_ms: 2652 }
[SpotifyConnect]  Pause
[SpotifyConnect]  pause
[SpotifyConnect]  There Goes The Fear
info: Checking Spotify Web API
[SpotifyConnect] Vollibrespot Active
info: CoreStateMachine::setConsumeUpdateService undefined
info: [1695505658757] ControllerSpotify::pushState
[Vollibrespot] : Event: SinkInactive
[Vollibrespot] : Event: PlaybackStopped { track_id: SpotifyId { id: 110297920219393966574960660487925683060, audio_type: Track } }
[SpotifyConnect]  PlaybackInactive
info: [1695505658785] ControllerSpotify::pushState

and that repeats all the time i hit play.

If I uninstall and/or disable the spotify-plugin the problem is not going away.

Does anyone have any helpful information how to solve this issue.

Thanks in advance

Björn

[quote=“bjoernhoefer, post:1, topic:62945”]
My problem:
When I freshly write the image to a SD-Card Spotify Connect works flawless.

As soon as I remove the power (I do not shut down the Pi - I just pull the plug) the problem starts.
[/quote

The first thing I would do is stop simply pulling the plug and always shut down properly.
Your SD card will thank you.
Your installation may be corrupted as a result.

Hi, thanks for the feedback

So far I never had issues - and in case I’ll have a backup and buy a new SD-Card :wink:

I’ve also tried now a few things, but no solution for the problem… pretty annoying.

For the experts here it would be of interest which DAC you use and which settings were made during playback. Have other plugins been installed?
Is the hotspot still active and causing trouble?
What about the power supply, temperature of the RPI could also play a role.
I would reinstall everything and when everything works again just let the RPI run, don’t switch it off… it has to endure that. If it gets too warm, something needs to be done accordingly.
The System Info plugin is very helpful for this.

I do have a Schiit Modius connected - no further settings changed.
In my default setup, I only have the spotify plugin installed.
For the power supply I take a 45W Adapter - had such power issues a few years ago.

Temperature is also not a problem - The RPI was “cold started” and has those issues…

Letting the RPI constantly run - is something I don’t want to, cause I don’t want to “waste” energy - thats, why I have a central on and off switch for all my HiFi components…

OK, but I now think that this is where the problem lies. It’s a computer and it wants to finish everything properly before it is switched off. Suddenly interrupting the power supply will most likely damage the installation in the long term.

45W is more than enough…is it also 5.2 V on the RPI 4B?..

Also remember that if everything is switched on and off at once, as is common with connector strips with single-pole switches, problems can occur on the SD card…on/off switching peaks from e.g. Transformers…

It is best to set a switch in the RPI’s supply line.
A 45W switching power supply, which is only separated from the mains by one pole, can still charge slowly and deliver it to the RPI when it reaches 5 volts. This causes the RPI’s red LED to flash periodically and is not good.

or simply unplug it after shutting down.

By letting it run I actually meant watching the RPI and Volumio…so let it run a day and see how it behaves…error or not.

[quote=“bjoernhoefer, post:1, topic:62945”]
kernel reports TIME_ERROR: 0x41: Clock Unsynchronized

What does local files actually look like? Do they run?

But the problem also pops up when I properly shut down the RPI - (via web menu) - after 15 or more minutes.

The red LED is not blinking or anything. With this power-supply I ran that RPI for months now without problems (and please don’t refere to - it could be burnt out after such a long time - I tried it with a different one, which I not often to charge my phone.

This is a strip-down linux distro which is (or not) playing music - it has to be done with with all tasks after setup within 10-15 minutes - we’re not doing quantum research/crypto-mining…

ALL other sources work (e.g. DLNA) - also Spotify when you run it locally (when you enter your password) - It currently plays songs…

What I see when I open up Spotify at my device is strange (maybe a hint, that it could be the Spotify part…):

• On my android I see that spotify is connected with volumio
  • On my smart phone the time-index of my current is about 2 minutes “in the future”
  • On Volumio it plays “normal”
  • I can control (move the time-index) on the
  • As soon as I choose to play another song with my phone (click on song on the android device) - it stops after 2 seconds and stops again after 2 seconds if I hit play (also from the web UI)

So I think we cant take it for granted now, that there might be an issue with the spotify daemon…

One thing which might be different than to other spotify users - I do have a family account, donno if that hint helps.
(No, I don’t want/can’t change it back to a normal account…)

Hello,

Burnt out power supply… I haven’t heard of that either.
If the power supply is ok and always shuts down cleanly, everything is fine. I’m referring to your statement that the problems start after the plug is pulled…sorry…I have to get rid of that again… :laughing:

If everything else works, it’s a good sign.

I’m also familiar with the staggered time, I’ve occasionally had it with Tidal… I just recently had a lot of problems streaming properly, errors kept occurring. Ultimately, a reset and an update of my router helped.

The router could provide information.

Family account or not definitely doesn’t matter…I have it too and there’s peace and quiet on that side.

Android…maybe the problem is here. Maybe reinstall the app. Because the time also appears as an error message from the kernel.

Just mentioned it, because the topic was not moving away from the power-supply path :wink:

I would not say, that everything works - everything else except streaming Spotify works :frowning:

Okay, my router is so far up2date and working in all possible ways (for the last 3 years).
I had Volumio for about a year and everyhting was working flawless, then I changed to a Pro-Ject streamer and now wanted to get back to Volumio (with a better DAC) - but now experiencing those super strange problems…

Nope, this issue is not limited to Android - I can recreate the problem with

• Android
  • MacOsX
  • Windows
    (only IOS not testable - but I would say 3 of 4 possible OS’es is a majority).

Any idea/chance to get rid of the issue - as previously supposed, I do think this is an reporduceable issue with the spotify daemon…

yes, now let’s move away from the electricity, power supply, unplug… :smirk:

have you done a new installation?

Around twenty times…

Always the same issue.
Also changed:

• The RPI (tried it on RPI 2 and RPI 4)
  • The SD card

Always the same (as I said repeatable) issue (as described above)

Did you use the same dac on the RPi2?

I’m not reading anything about any problems with Spotify Connect and Volumio at the moment…there are no reactions from fellow readers either…

Take a closer look at/post the log again

Is the Dac set up correctly?

try turning off multiroom and BT.

install system info and take a look

A mayor upgrade to the plugin is coming soon.

thank you Wheaten…

So switch off this plugin and wait patiently for the update.
But don’t pull the plug :rofl:

Thanks, these are very good news…

You’re not alone with this issue. I have it consistently. Only workaround is to clear the queue (in volumio, not spotify), and possibly reboot, and avoid using spotify connect. The issue still happens, just less often.

I tried all the resets/reboots/reinstalls, nothing helps, so I’ve been back on chromecast while waiting for an update to solve the issue. Hopefully this rewrite is released soon (chromecast sound quality is quite noticeably worse).

Good to hear… hopefully we will “soon” have a solution for that…

As I said previously - I was a happy volumio customer with a premium subscription… then went away for a Pro-Ject and when I came back to have it more wonderful with a good DAC the disappointment started… :frowning: