Special characters in directories USB attached storage

Hi,
I have USB storage on my RPi and I can not create a directory with a “question mark” in the name. I can create the directory on the root filesystem but not on the USB media. Must be something to do with options on the mount?

eg;

volumio@volumio:~$ pwd /home/volumio volumio@volumio:~$ mkdir \(What\'s\ The\ Story\)\ Morning\ Glory\? volumio@volumio:~$ ls -la drwxr-xr-x 2 volumio volumio 4096 Jan 29 14:20 (What's The Story) Morning Glory?
But on USB:

volumio@volumio:/media/0BD1-3955$ pwd /media/0BD1-3955 volumio@volumio:/media/0BD1-3955$ mkdir \(What\'s\ The\ Story\)\ Morning\ Glory\? mkdir: cannot create directory ‘(What's The Story) Morning Glory?’: Invalid argument

Mount shows:

/dev/sdb1 on /media/0BD1-3955 type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,showexec,utf8,errors=remount-ro,uhelper=udisks)

Any clues?
Thanks

I’ll answer my own question.

VFAT is the issue. I reformatted the USB with EXT4 and its all working beautifully.

Can’t copy directly to EXT4 USB on my Macbook, but I created a tar file, copied that locally to an ExFAT USB, put that into the RPi and then unpacked the tar onto the EXT4 USB. All worked

From now on I can use rsync to keep Macbook files in sync with RPi