Sorting artists

Hi there,

still fresh to the system, but I already have a request :slight_smile:

In the library’s artist section I have artists sorted by “albumartist”, as I want to have my compilations together in one place.

Artists with an article in their name in this section will be sorted by their article. But I would like to prefer having “The Beatles” sorted under B. I already tagged all related files using the “Sort Artist” tag, as I thoought this would be a propper way to help Volumio to sort the music. Looking up the tag I now am not sure if this is an official ID3 tag. Also I am not sure, if ID3 tags are still a thing, as the ID3.org site is down.

What I tried too is to change the name in the albumartist tag to “Beatles”, but then it only shows “Beatles” in the library. And “Beatles” is not the correct name of the band.

Another possibility would be a text field in the setting section, where one can add those articles that will be ignored for sorting, but not for listing. A text field would be good, so everybody can decide if she or he want to use it. Also there are many languages with different rules out there, so the developers would not need to think about all those variations.

Thanks!

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve been down that road. This is not available.
Just a simple list to avoid words starting with:
The El La Los Las Le Les De Het

I’ve decided to accept “The Beatles”, as I didn’t want to rename everything to “Beatles, the”

I agree. It’s not that the world will collapse if there’s no possibility of ignoring articles, but if Volumio wants to catch up with Roon, Audirvana and Media Center, it would be great to be able to do it the right way.