Severe issues using tidal connect

Hi .

I’ve been trying to solve the problem with tidal playback for several days now, with little to no success.

Volumio is running via Raspberry pi4b, with a heatsink and a fan on top, connected to a 5ghz network. It’s connected using USB cable to an external DAC.
Tidal connect, along with a windows server has been used for music streaming.

To put simply, sometimes it just doesn’t work. Tidal shows the device in the list, plays the song, but there’s just no output signal to it, as if it’s not connected to the amp at all.
When windows server is offline, it’s just impossible to connect to Volumio, neither through an Android phone, nor a web browser on the PC.
Same thing happens when I leave the pi4 on for several hours, it’s just unable to connect to tidal.
It requires a number of restarts, both the pi and the server to get it working.
Fusion dsp is used all the time. When convolution filter is used with loudness, again, connection drops and it keeps on rebooting.

Very frustrating, it’s useless half the time.
What’s the matter with it?

Hi, this might be an interaction with Fusion DSP (we know that sometimes if not properly configured it can lead to big instability).
To help us identify the culprit, can you disable it and restart your unit?

Let us know

1 Like

Thank you for replying,

I will try it without dsp for a day or two and report back.

It works flawlessly with fusion dsp turned off.

I’ve reduced the number of taps (rephase convolution filter) to 16k and it did improve it’s performance considerably.

However, any change in dsp settings brings the problem back.

Thanks for your feedback.

@balbuze can you think on a possible issue or solution here?

1 Like

It even plays two different signals at once, one from the windows drive and other from tidal.

hello!
can you please try FusionDsp v1.0.49 beta plugin to see if better?

and report :wink:
thanks!

edit : v1.0.49 is stable now

Hi, will do, but maybe in a week or so.

What else have I found, that might help to improve it:
Fusion dsp works fine, when tidal isn’t used.
When playing with tidal, it works just fine when clipping detection is turned off and attenuation is manually set in the settings.
When I want to change a filter, I tend to pause tidal, play something from local hard drive for a few seconds, change the filter and then do the same procedure in reverse. This completely avoids playback issues. If I skip the playback from my drive, it immediately restarts, or won’t connect to tidal connect at all.

Hello,
Thanks for your feedback.
Until now I was not able to test Tidal connect (no account…). But now I can. So I try this weekend.
I don’t see how clipping detection could interfere. When enabled, it determines the value for attenuation when you save settings. Once done, it’s like you set by hand.
If you want to test different filters, you can use preset to switch between them easily.
I keep you in touch

Sorry for bringing this up again, but

Your software is completely and utterly useless. I’m furious over several last months of tinkering, restarting, waiting and the rest of it.

The moment fusion dsp is turned on everything stops. Tidal connect is absolutely out of the question. It won’t connect at all. I had much more luck with network drives, but it’s always a headache before it finally starts.

Today, nothing works at all. Uninstalled dsp completely, removed tidal, nada. I’m sorry for some harsh words, I realize this requires a lot of work, but it’s just not there yet. It’s simply not a finished product and nowhere near one that should be paid on a monthly basis.

Hello ,
Sorry to read that…
I don’t know what happens in your case, but have you sent a log when the issue occurs?
FusionDsp and Tidal connect are two very used features.
And there’s no such other complaints about this
Log are important to debug.
Tidal is a premium feature with a specific support.
Did you open a ticket?

I really don’t know how to open a ticket, nor collect log data.

Could a mesh wifi network be the reason behind it?

Can’t see anything else wrong with it, I’ve reinstalled it several times, using pi4 with decent cooling as well.