Power Supply for Volumio Primo

1 remark, the topic was initially concerning primo where adjunction of an external PSU is still in question. We already know as explained by wheaten that RPI with it’s low end circuit highly benefit from a better power source

the fact is that everything you said is truth, I Ve also often the sensation that humidity of the listening room change the listening experience… no joke :sweat_smile:

I know this is a little of topic, but still wroth to share. My approach is a different, because I try to keep away any noise coming from SBC, PC, etc. At least for DAC powered by USB and not having highly sophisticated filters build in I found a noticeable difference.

I bought a Farad Super 3 LPS with their Level 2 output cable to use with the original Primo and it made a substrantial difference. I am now using it with my new Rivo. I learned about Farad from Audio Bacon’s YouTube review of a number of LPSs. Good luck.

1 Like

I bought a bunch of linear PSUs from the Ali Express website and equipped those items with it:
Synology NAS (needed one with more power)
English Audio LAN Switch
Volumio Prio
Each below 100€

And three power chords from Wire World.
Each 200€

The result was drastic.
I also changed the LAN setup so the audio stuff is as separated as possible from the IT stuff.
Also I switched to dedicated audio LAN cables from Shunyata.

A lost of money and time spent and a lot of people may call me crazy.
But all those changes brought my digital chain step by step (!) close to the analogue especially when listening to High Res data.

I do not regret any single investment.

My 2 cents…

Cheers
Rolf

1 Like

I use ifi ipower x on my volumio primo hifi
The sound is good clear and clean, i myself will to test it with sbooster to hear if it brings even more cleaness and warm out of it

1 Like

curious to hear your feedback

Yes and no. I have several vintage Marantz receivers that have speaker A and speaker B switches that for the test sake I connect to the same speakers - just do not press both switches on all at the same time - and toggling back and forward I do hear the difference between say the cables. Sometimes even very pronounced difference (the more expensive cables do usually make system sound better). I might have not noticed it if someone did switch it quietly for me, as you did it to your friend, without an immediate comparison/reference next to it.

That is how I noticed the difference between the CD player and the Volumio Primo connected to the same system - and so I started asking. I could play the same track (CD and the file copy ripped off the same disk) at the same time, and switching the inputs immediately reveals the difference. Which in my case is not even subtle. CD transport plays better.

That is often true about the power cables.

It does not always need to be a top notch setup, as it may simply hide the blemishes and sound just as good with either. What does matter - in my experience - is how the given system reacts to the change. Well observable when changed back and forward without wait and immediately.

Have been using sbooster now for over a week and so
Switch from the ipower x.
We done some a b blind testing not knowing with power switch/linear supply was connected and power cord from wall to ansuz mains8 x-tc power distribution.

Using same 2-3 tracks from instrumental guitar track to some hip hop beats and back to acapella.

The switch from ipower x was more that the sound is more calm and tonal control, bass more fuller mid range better detailed.

If it worth it?? In my system there is something that changes to better - but its up to your system.

But one thing we was sure about was that volumio primo hifi internal power supply is very well made

So that swap from ipower x to sbooster was hearable but surely not day and night
In my opinion still worth it if possible to get sbooster second hand
System used:
Roksan Attessa amp (no stream version)
Volumio primo hifi edition.
Ansuz mains8 x-tc power distribution
Power cables wireworld Aurora 7 and electra
Rca 2 rca : wireworld Equinox 8
Speaker cable: wireworld oasis 8

1 Like

nice share thx

@Zojo
Will try ipower x on Wednesday.
Thanks for sharing.

Well, what to say, the difference between the stock power supply and ipower x is night and day. I am not kidding. At least in my setup. It’s like the box woke up, from slow and mellow (too mellow) to very present and engaging playback. I was taken aback from the moment I turned it on.

I have been reading some reviews and comments about Ferrum HYPSOS, specifically about the benefit of adjustable power supply. Just measured the output from the stock power supply, came out with 4.99v. Hmm, should I wonder? ipower x, on the other hand, gives out 5.23v. So this might explain some things, but I am not entirely sure. It does feel like a better device all around, and I am confident it is.

1 Like

What do you know - it’s so predictable!

Since I have two Volumio Primo boxes I bought another ipower x (now for the headphones playback) - amazing! Once I discovered it I will never touch the stock PS again. And I think, just in passing, that Volumio make a big disfavor to their customers by bungling it with the second rate power supply units. I do not know their numbers, but it does seem like could be a winner in the long run.

Does anyone try the PD Creative power supply with the Volumio Primo?

1 Like

I’ve Primo with PD Creative. It’s night a day difference. Especially on rock/metal. With PD its full, there is depth and space. With SMPS its flat and sound much, much cheaper… I even recorded a few tracks, send to my friens by WA and they hear big improvement…