[PLUGIN] YouTube2

Unfortunately, you won’t be able to continue using the YT plugin on Volumio 2. Basically the entire codebase has changed and these changes cannot be backported due to outdated libraries on V2.

Hi, is there a newer topic on the plugin? I used to write in this one… I haven’t used my device for like a year and set it up in a new network and everything works except that I can’t search youtube. My favorites and playlist items are getting played when I click them but when I type something in the search field, only radio stations appear.
I somehow recall having this issue before but don’t recall the solution. Anyone can help?

(Oh my goodness, I think I have a version from 2021? Do I need the scraping or the API method or is it irrelevant since the plugin plays music from YouTube, just doesn’t search?)

2nd edit: I’m about to travel to modern times and set up volumio 3.x - I need to register for my volumio to get the youtube plugin? Don’t like it…

3rd Edit: but works.
4th Edit: thanks a lot for the effort - more klicking, less manual work - perfect for folks like me not used to work in a console.

Looks like I do have an issue with this plugin. It’s that frequently (4 times in a raw after between 3 and 20 minutes) the stream stopped. After it stopped I couldn’t play music from any source any more. So the only thing that helped was to reboot :frowning:

Bug report: http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/tUrnz3J.html

I’m unable to reproduce this issue. I’ve been playing a YouTube playlist for most of the day and it’s still playing. Your logs showed multiple alsa_output: Decoder is too slow; playing silence to avoid xrun messages, which means the audio device was waiting for data but didn’t get it in time for playback. I do not know what triggered this, but I would suggest the following for purpose of testing:

1. Use wired connection
  2. Disable multiroom

One thing i forgot to mention and it might be just a coincidence:
I only have this issue since I have updated to version V3.611
(But I need to add that I only have this issue on one device)

I’m exited! Out of the box, it works really well!
Logged in, connected to my YT account, see all my lists etc.
Respect!

I run volumio 3.611 on a raspberry 3b with a IQaudIO DAC Plus.

Hi @patrickkfkan, lately, I’ve been having problems with the plugin where it stops playing and then I need to restart the pi to get it to work again. Then after a while, it stops again. Today, I ran into a problem were I can’t get it to work not matter what I try, and I can’t get into the plugin settings. When I try going to the browse the youtube2 pluign, I get an error.

logs/bug report: http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/pML5nps.html

me too!!

He’s working on it.

1 Like

Thank you~~

Resolved for now in v1.1.4, currently in beta channel of plugin store.

2 Likes

Thanks @patrickkfkan! It’s working again.

I updated to V1.1.4. It said “successfully installed”, but it still is V1.1.3.!?

And it still shows this error message:

You need to do it in this order, don’t forget the restart!
Unistall the plugin
Install the beta version
Restart Volumio
Authorise with YouTube

For information, the plugin is now released as stable.
So you should be able to update the version installed.
But a reboot is welcome :grin:

2 Likes

Thx Simon!

Looks good now :ok_hand:

Another thing I like to ask because I haven’t sawn this before:

In the settings of the plugins there’s a section “Playback” which offers a parameter “Live Stream Quality”. In the description it’s written

If you experience choppy playback of live streams, try setting this to a lower value. Note that while live streams with lower quality settings do have lower video resolutions, they do not necessarily have worse audio quality. You can therefore start with the lowest quality setting (144p) and move your way up to find the optimal balance between performance and quality.

What’s unclear to me is why here video resolution is mentioned? So far I thought the plugin only enables one to stream audio! Is it also possible to stream video? And if so, where the video stream goes to?

It’s not possible to stream video with Volumio, but I guess the plugin is accessing the audio from YouTube videos, so if it’s a heavy load live stream, it could get choppy.

ah, I see, the loaded stream contains video and audio data, but only the audio part is streamed. And the quality of the audio stream scales with the video resolution (even if it is obviously not a 1:1 coupling).

Thx!

That’s my theory at least!