[Plugin] pirate audio

Hi AxLED,

Thanks a lot for a good work.
I have a problem after the last update Volumio- 3.569.
Until now my Pirate audio module worked well but after the update I lost my display and buttons.
When I hit play from the web I can hear the sound but very low. And of course buttons do not function as well as the possibility to increase the volume from the browser.
Tried to reinstall the OS but got the same problem
If you can help with this will be most appreciated.
Thanks.
Regards,
Tiho

New build dont work with the plugin :frowning_face:.
Build that works say this on the terminal startā€¦
Welcome to Volumio for Raspberry Pi (5.10.92+ armv6l)

Hi all,

i justed checked with my volumio version 3.546 on my pi zero and it works.
Updated to version 3.569 and now it is not working anymore, have to investigate.

AxLED

Hi Pirates,

@Darmur gave me the hint to find the problem, see: https://community.volumio.com/t/update-to-volumio-3-569-breaks-gpio-permission/64095/3

Keyword: /etc/udev/rules.d/99-com.rules

AxLED

2 Likes

the latest beta version 3.583 has the fix for the new name of gpiomem, it should make the plugin working again

1 Like

Hi there, Iā€™m trying to use the pirate audio plugin, but there seems to be no video output. I just get a black screen without backlight and no button function.

@Jesper0903
which version of volumio are you using? If 3.569 there is a know bug see some previous posts in this topic.

AxLED

This plugin is excellent.

Running on a RPi zero w with the Pirate Audio headphone amp hat and I can confirm that buttons and screen are working with version 3.583.

Thatā€™s probably my problem, Iā€™ll fix it and come back if I have problems. One question can it run offline? And I also donā€™t know how I can put music on it without having a standard usb-stick inside it

Do you still have the .img? I canā€™t find a old Volumio 3 img thatā€™s usable

I donā€™t but they use a standard naming convention for their image file names. You can manipulate the download URL to download different images.
example: https://updates.volumio.org/pi/volumio/[versionNumber]/Volumio-[versionNumber]-[YYYY-MM-DD]-pi.zip

Hello, Iā€™m jus getting started using volumio with the Pirate Audio line-out dac. sound is working fine, but no display as above. Iā€™ve updated to 3.584 but that doesnā€™t seem to have fixed it. Should I try going to 3.583 to see if that works?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Iā€™m interested in using it to play a relatively small set of wav files as a basic sound-source for live performance, with a screen for navigation and visible indication of position on tracks.

Thanks!

please read above

Hello ,
I am new here and to pirate audio. I recently purchased the Pirate Audio Headphone Amp. After doing so, I proceeded to set it by instruction from place I purchased. I worked on it for a week , got no results. This post is amazing , but so much information, I am lost. I believe part of my problem is i re used an old SD card, which in my mind shouldnā€™t mater , but possible. What I havent been able to find, which I need, is a step by step for the whole process. I have Volumio set up on pi 4, works great, a pi 4 running the latest pi os, desktop, works great. This is beating me up. Iā€™m 63 year old Vet, who doesnā€™t know enough about raspbian os works and its making me crazy,What ver pi os to use, what ver Volumio to use,just need the steps, I would like the end to be Volumio with Spotify. Thank you for letting me in the great undertaking, Ken

Hi Ken, I will try to give you some step by step to install everything from 0. I have the Pirate audio DAC with a raspberry pi zero 2 so the configuration should be the same.

1. Download Volumio: https://volumio.com/en/get-started/

2. Install with BalenaEtcher: balenaEtcher - Flash OS images to SD cards & USB drives and use it to install volumio in yout SD card

3. Boot your Volumio and set it up

4. Configure I2C Dac and Volume Options:
    ļ»æ

5. Restart

6. Install Pirate Audio pluging:
    ā€¢ To enable the beta channel go to: http://{yourvolumioaddress}/dev and click ā€œPlugins test modeā€
    ā€¢ Go back to the plugings menu and in System hardware search for the Pirate Audio plugin and install it

7. Restart

8. Go to the plugins menu again and under installed plugins click on Pirate Audio settings. The GPIO for Y-button depends on pirate audio hat type and not on raspberry pi type / model. For mine is on 24

1 Like

@forte89
good guide. small addition: GPIO for Y-button depends on pirate audio hat type and not on raspberry pi type / model.

AxLED

1 Like

Which version of volumio are you using? The latest stable from the download link in step 1 (volumio version 3.569) doesnā€™t work for me with pirate audio plugin version 0.1.1 (no display and no GPIO buttons)

Also in step 6 is there a need to enable beta channel since the latest version of the pirate audio plugin is the stable one, unless you are using the older 0.1.0 beta or 0.0.7 beta?

I have zero 2w and pirate audio line out DAC with display.

@AxLED

Thanks for this great package I am really enjoying it!

I have found a couple of bugs that I would to share:

1. Pause button works as expected when using spotify connect (via spotify plugin) but when using the play button (after a pause) the audio is switched from spotify to the last audio file played from internal storage. Using the play button from either the volumio mobile app or web interface works properly however (it will play from spotify instead of internal storage). Tested on volumio version 3.546 and 3.584

2. The same thing happens with the next and previous track buttons from the menu on the buttons (again gpio buttons select internal track rather than spotify but web/app function with spotify correctly)

This ends up playing havoc with audio playback as sometimes both internal audio and spotify are trying to play at once. As well as this the web interface and app have the controls for spotify rather than the internal audio which is playing after the button press so there is sometimes no way to pause the internal audio easily.

Hopefully this is just an issues with the wrong API call from the pirate audio plugin which can be swapped over! Or might be an issue with how volumio handles GPIO buttons?! I donā€™t know how the app works so Iā€™ll leave it in your hands.

@deepblue

thanks for investigating. I am not sure if i can help you, as i

Which service (e.g webradio, etc) is diplayed under volumio.local/dev, if it happens?

AxLED

Iā€™m happy to try and investigate further and make a PR to the pirate-audio python package if I can find the issue (Iā€™ll might need some pointers though)

ā€œserviceā€:ā€œspopā€ in the player state on /dev

Cheers.