[PLUGIN] Now Playing

Now Playing plugin updated v0.5.1:

• Add ‘Docked Volume Indicator → % Symbol Size’ setting (@M1ck)
  • Add Track Info Visibility settings (@waymon)
  • Add ‘IdleScreen → My Background’ settings for displaying your own images (@YanirGv)
  • Add ‘IdleScreen → Weather Area Height’ setting (@Andron66)
  • Add ‘Backup / Restore Settings’. You can now save your settings to a file and then restore them later.

All of the above are accessible from plugin settings.

The plugin creates a folder called NowPlayingPlugin under /data/INTERNAL, which is the same ‘INTERNAL’ folder that you see when accessing your Volumio device on the network through file explorer. In the NowPlayingPlugin folder, there are two subfolders:

• My Backgrounds: for storing your images to be displayed on the Idle Screen. JPEGs, PNGs and GIFs supported.
  • Settings Backups: backups are stored and read from this folder.

These folders are not deleted when you uninstall the Now Playing plugin. This allows you to preserve your settings when you uninstall the plugin and then reinstall it later. This is particularly useful when trying out a beta version of the plugin, since you must uninstall the existing version first.

With migration to TypeScript, a lot has changed in the codebase. If you spot a regression or bug, please report it here. Happy testing!

v0.5.1 is currently in beta channel. To install (all steps mandatory):

• Uninstall current version.
  • Enable Plugins Test Mode in http://<volumio address>/dev
  • Find the Now Playing plugin in the plugin store. Click the Details button under it and choose latest beta version to install.
  • Restart Volumio.

Uninstalling current version (pre-v0.5.1) will remove all settings. You can make a backup of the current Now Playing settings by copying the file at:

/data/configuration/user_interface/now_playing/config.json

to somewhere else.

Then restore it back to /data/configuration/user_interface/now_playing/ after installing beta, followed by restarting Volumio. From v0.5.1 and onwards, you can utilize the Backup / Restore Settings feature.

EDIT: the ‘Volumio Background’ option has been deprecated in favor of ‘My Background’, since Volumio has dropped support for it in Manifest UI. I have not yet added ‘My Background’ to the background settings that apply to the Now Playing Screen (only Idle Screen has it now), but will do so after I have gauged response and obtained feedback about this feature.

4 Likes