[PLUGIN] Now Playing

OK. Next version

3 Likes

Patrick, I am happy to report, everything is working nicely. Very good job, I like it a lot :slight_smile:
Running for about 15 songs now, no freeze.

Now a food for your thought for next version :slight_smile:

• set time for text to start scrooling
  • screensaver pictures to pull from a local file from hdd (with winscp we can put them in any folder). This way people could use their own, like family pictures, or pictures of their gear, suit their resolution…

I have one more question. On the now playing screen, when I play DSD file, what is displaying the DSD next to the bitrate? No matter what I change, the color or size does not change.
Thank you.

Danny

Great job. I want a small correction for widescreen monitors. The Weather background panel is small in height. Therefore, it is impossible to make Forecast Weather icons of a large size. Maybe increase its size to half the screen?
Thanks!

The current delay before scrolling is 2 seconds. I can make this customizable. However, I cannot control the delay between loops. Ideally I would like to have a pause when the title scrolls back to its starting position, but with the current Marquee component (not written by me) this is not possible.

As suggested, you can currently choose your own pic by uploading it to /data/backgrounds through SFTP. Then choose ‘Volumio background’ followed by the uploaded pic in the plugin settings:

Since Volumio has removed the upload background function from Contemporary UI - even made it troublesome to switch UIs - I should probably set the directory to /home/volumio/now-playing-backgrounds or something like that… I’m also considering adding the option to slideshow images in the background directory instead of choosing just one.

Maybe I can make the weather area height adapt to the sizes of the weather elements. Need to think about this…

2 Likes

still works perfectly. nice scrolling too :smiley:

1 Like

Yes it is a little strange why it is difficult to change UI’s. Think it might be a bug, but once you do THIS it works as normal afterwards.
Once you select either classic or contempory the background image seems to be random now, as Ive had different background images with different installs.
So whether the volumio team are planning on removing the contempory and classic UIs altogether the /data/backgrounds directory should remain.
There is no harm in creating a directory purely for Now Playing, but it could be a good idea to have an in app way of uploading images to help people who are not familiar with using tools such as sftp.

Hello Patrick. What I meant was that the IDLE screen pulling pictures from Unsplash…
Would be nice to upload screensaver backgrounds in own folder to customize it to own taste.
If it would pull randomized pics from a folder.

Danny

Really like the scrolling title. Thanks @patrickkfkan

Works very well, however I want MY image, not from unsplash.
Is that doable?

Not that I am aware off

I’m in the process of overhauling the plugin’s code. Might as well rethink the “Volumio background” option of the idle screen, since it’s only possible to upload your own images under Contemporary UI and that UI has fallen out of favor (even the UI switch is broken!).

So maybe the plugin will create a folder that is accessible on the network, like FusionDsp, and you can put your images there. You can then choose to have a fixed image displayed or cycle at intervals through whatever images you have in that folder.

1 Like

Then I would suggest to keep this in the plugin folder /data/plugins/user_interface/now_playing/backgrounds

I think Volumio only shares access to Internal / NAS and USB, and nothing else? I propose to put it under ‘Internal’ so that the average user can access it without having to install additional software.

2 Likes

using a file browser you’re correct. If you use the plugin setting page to upload it makes more sense to keep all at the same location.

Now Playing plugin updated v0.5.1:

• Add ‘Docked Volume Indicator → % Symbol Size’ setting (@M1ck)
  • Add Track Info Visibility settings (@waymon)
  • Add ‘IdleScreen → My Background’ settings for displaying your own images (@YanirGv)
  • Add ‘IdleScreen → Weather Area Height’ setting (@Andron66)
  • Add ‘Backup / Restore Settings’. You can now save your settings to a file and then restore them later.

All of the above are accessible from plugin settings.

The plugin creates a folder called NowPlayingPlugin under /data/INTERNAL, which is the same ‘INTERNAL’ folder that you see when accessing your Volumio device on the network through file explorer. In the NowPlayingPlugin folder, there are two subfolders:

• My Backgrounds: for storing your images to be displayed on the Idle Screen. JPEGs, PNGs and GIFs supported.
  • Settings Backups: backups are stored and read from this folder.

These folders are not deleted when you uninstall the Now Playing plugin. This allows you to preserve your settings when you uninstall the plugin and then reinstall it later. This is particularly useful when trying out a beta version of the plugin, since you must uninstall the existing version first.

With migration to TypeScript, a lot has changed in the codebase. If you spot a regression or bug, please report it here. Happy testing!

v0.5.1 is currently in beta channel. To install (all steps mandatory):

• Uninstall current version.
  • Enable Plugins Test Mode in http://<volumio address>/dev
  • Find the Now Playing plugin in the plugin store. Click the Details button under it and choose latest beta version to install.
  • Restart Volumio.

Uninstalling current version (pre-v0.5.1) will remove all settings. You can make a backup of the current Now Playing settings by copying the file at:

/data/configuration/user_interface/now_playing/config.json

to somewhere else.

Then restore it back to /data/configuration/user_interface/now_playing/ after installing beta, followed by restarting Volumio. From v0.5.1 and onwards, you can utilize the Backup / Restore Settings feature.

EDIT: the ‘Volumio Background’ option has been deprecated in favor of ‘My Background’, since Volumio has dropped support for it in Manifest UI. I have not yet added ‘My Background’ to the background settings that apply to the Now Playing Screen (only Idle Screen has it now), but will do so after I have gauged response and obtained feedback about this feature.

4 Likes

Thanks for adding the customization options. They are perfect!
Checkout what I created with your plugin.

Volumio rpi inside the tape player playing music through the amp + another rpi running kisok mode to pick up the now playing webpage with album art that is broadcasting over the TV air (uhf channel 13) to get picked up by the small tv. Also setup a NFC card reader to playback albums I’ve made and stored in cassette cases. Also not show, the physical buttons work.

5 Likes

EXACTLY what I was looking for!!!
Love it, and love the random function - all works out of the box like a charm.
THANK YOU!!!

@patrickkfkan

Just having a quick play around at the moment.
The resize “%” works perfectly …Thanks

However…

In the “Widget Styles” section with “Widget Visability” set to custom, there is the option to turn on/off the seek bar and another option to turn on/off the playback buttons.

The option to turn on/off the seekbar does nothing.
The option to turn on/off the playback buttons turns both the seek bar and playback buttons on/off together.

Hope you understand that, if you need any more info just ask.

Thanks for reporting. Silly mistake on my part. Will be fixed in next version (soon).

and if you correct it … it’s not Visability but Visibility :slight_smile: