[PLUGIN] MPD OLED - installation & configuration plugin

I understand now. What you could do is download the development branch of mpd_oled, compile it and copy the compiled file into the /usr/local/bin/ folder. That will allow you to use the development version of mpd_oled and still be able to control it using the plugin. Hope this helps :slight_smile:

that helps immensely, because I still have the SD card with the working screen config on it, so I could theoretically pull it over from that, and if it works, can I provide it back to you?

Ill grab it after I run some errands today, any specific files I need or just the one for the SSD1322?

1 Like

I think it’s just the mpd_oled binary that you need. It should work, I’m not sure if there any other configuration required :thinking:

If it works just let me know. The binary can easily be created by compiling the dev branch…

Hello .could you install a screensaver function? I now have to “stop” during a break and am worried that some things may burn in?!
Thanks

so… i reached out to the developer of MPD_OLED asking if he could pull in the changes that support this screen, i will paste his response below.

my question is, does this re-write make it fundimentally incompatible with your existing plugin or could i, in theory, change the main branch files out to the dev branch files and do a manual install of your plugin to try and get the best of both worlds?

his response, follows;

mpd_oled_dev is a rewrite of mpd_oled which uses a much more complete
graphics and driver library. mpd_oled_dev is in a development state,
with development still on hold, and there is no easy way to incorporate
its SSD1322 support into the current mpd_oled release. mpd_oled_dev also
has different configuration options to mpd_oled, and so it is not a
drop-in replacement for mpd_oled in the Volumio plugin.

What might work for you to use the Volumio plugin is if you create a
wrapper program/script called mpd_oled that ignores all command line
options and simply runs the “mpd_oled” binary from mpd_oled_dev with the
options you want for your display.

1 Like

I’ve documented a way to do this.

Burn in will occur. I didn’t write the mpd_oled. I only wrote the plugin that allows easily installation with Volumio. Check here for more info about mpd_oled https://github.com/antiprism/mpd_oled[mpd_oled](https://github.com/antiprism/mpd_oled)

1 Like

is possible this command:
" -P pause screen type: p - play (default), s - stop "
expand with
“o - off”.
so that the display is only on when playing music. and when you take a break it’s off (dark)!?

Unfortunately my display already has burnt spots :frowning:

It’s not possible with the plugin because it simply runs mpd_oled as a service. You’d need to change the mpd_oled code, compile it and drop it into the /usr/local/bin/ folder.

Have a look here: GitHub - antiprism/mpd_oled: MPD, Volumio, RuneAudio and Moode OLED status and spectrum display for Raspberry Pi (and similar)

1 Like

Or read my previous post…

1 Like

OK .
It’s all very complicated :frowning:
strange that no one has complained about it yet or someone has integrated it (pause display off) into the source code.
I don’t have that much idea about it. then have to live with it. Thank you . Maybe there will be a simple solution at some point.

1 Like

I think not many people care as a new SSD is less the 2 euro. So if you have to replace it once a year…

OK . I’ve never seen anything under 2 euros. but at Ali it’s around 3.5 euros.

Thanks .
But this is 0,96 inches.and no ship to Germany from this seller
I have 1.3 inches.

I dont think mpd_oled is being worked on at the moment unfortunately. Thinking about it maybe it could be done in the plugin. It could stop mpd_oled if the player has not been playing music for a while :thinking:

1 Like

You need to add parameters to the mpd_oled setup screen, config in order to accomplish this. As not everyone want this.
An you’re no longer in line with source code, so you need to keep updating this.
Stop mpd_oled generates the clock screen, so you need to break in there as well. doable but not an easy fix.

main.ccp & display_info_h.
src.zip (9.3 KB)

The logic is basically in here, but it’s the dev branch, using different display drivers. Only the setting is stored in a separate file, so it can be overwritten via RC or GPIO.

1 Like

It is correct that I am not currently working on mpd_oled, and difficult for me to predict when I will return to it. The original mpd_oled is in maintenance mode, and I will not be adding any new features to it. Any future development will be on mpd_oled_dev. The current mpd_oled_dev is simply a rough version of the original mpd_oled that I wrote to test using the U8g2 display drivers and graphics library as a runtime library. It may work on screens not supported by mpd_oled but is not meant to be considered a release (e.g. I think it has some text alignment issues).

Adrian.

Hi Adrian, thanks for your feedback.
I’ve modified the text alignment in my previous post.

in the meantime, would it be possible to cobble together a version of the plugin that references the dev build? It would be awesome to have the features of the gui plugin along with the expanded screen support of the dev version, and TBQH, i wouldn’t mind a “screensaver” on that 5" oled screen :sweat_smile:

I can offer my help if need be.

2 Likes