[PLUGIN] IR Remote Controller feedback thread

As I understand it, the IR sensor has to be connected to the GPIO pin 18, as in the picture I posted. Maybe it works for you that way (it didn’t for me).

After getting a TSOP 4838 IR receiver and many hours of reading tutorials, entering commands, getting error messages, installing, de-installing, returning to backup images of earlier Volumio versions and starting over again, I’m ready to give up. I would really love to pause, play and skip tracks with my remote as on a real playback device, without having to reach for my tablet or laptop, but I don’t know what more I could try.

Pity, it sounded so good to have a plugin for that.

1 Like

I’ve added the line “lirc_dev and dtoverlay = lirc-rpi, gpio_in_pin = 4” to the /boot/config.txt and I’ll get infrared response when I run the commands> sudo modprobe lirc_rpi and> mode2 -d / dev / Lirc0 but somehow it does not work.

The problem is that I only have to use gpio pin-4 the others are already in use for other things.

It’s a pity that I need to use Gpio Pin-18 is not another way to make the infrared sensor work with Gpio Pin-4?

1 Like

Even in addition, I can not use pin 18 because I have the hifiberry digi + pro board on the pi and pin 18 is in use (see link)

Maybe it’s possible that it’s being implanted so you can choose the gpio pin in the settings of the infrared plugin.

support.hifiberry.com/hc/en-us/ … e-control-

As I said, using GPIO pin 18 didn’t help me much either. Even though I got response like you when using the modprobe lirc command.

1 Like

You need to use BCM 25 (pin 22) currently as BCM 18 (pin 12) is already used by most I2S audio cards.

See here for details - pinout.xyz/pinout/amp_hat

For the next update of the IR plugin, we are working with Michelangelo / Volumio to deliver capability for more​remotes by standard, capability for changing GPIO pin for IR receiver and maybe we should also add ability to upload a lirc config file and have it automatically appear with proper name in the drop down menu. Also the ability for the system to learn remotes too.

Basically what we want, is all of the functionality of lirc but in a really easy to use graphical interface.

Thank you I wil try BCM 25 (pin 22) today en let you know if it works.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC 10 met Tapatalk

It’s good to know the plugin is going to be updated, thanks :smiley:

In the meantime if anyone wants to use a different GPIO I just ended modifying index.js at line 221:

221 exec(’/usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/dtoverlay lirc-rpi gpio_in_pin=25’, {uid:1000,gid:1000},

I changed gpio_in_pin=26 as my IR sensor is on GPIO 26 and this worked.

the file is at /data/plugins/accessory/ir_controller/index.js (if I remember correctly)

Unfortunately I can’t help or check anything at the moment as my main PC PSU died.

Ok @JustBoom i changed the gpio pin (4) to gpio 25 and still not successful while I get responsive from the command (mode2d / dev / lirc0) so just created my own lirc (squeezebox3) en now its works :smiley:

I have downloaded the lirc file, see link.

lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/

By the way i use a remote sensor from an old marantz dv 4200 (RC6200DV part number RC901) and use a logitech harmony one remote controll with a squeezebox 3 software With which it works now.

Or something wrong with the lirc file of the apple A1294 remote or the harmony one is not complatible with the apple remote Or does not work well.

At least for me it works and I’m happy.

1 Like

Ok, I tried it on GPIO pin 25 today and still got no reaction. To be sure, I wrote an image of a version of Volumio before I installed your plugin on my card and installed it fresh. Still nothing. I loaded the codes for Apple TV, Apple Mediaplayer and Apple Dock on my Harmony, but none worked. When I use the mode2 -d /dev/lirc0 command, I get responses on every key I press, but when I run irw nothing happens.

To be clear, I didn’t change anything in any config file or so. All this should be taken care of already, right?

That would be fantastic. I’m looking forward to updates of your plugin and will try them, when they arrive. I’m still very keen on having IR control over Volumio playback.

Thanks for your efforts so far.

Ok, so I finally got it working too. After finally finding the Odroid Remote codes in the Harmony Database, it worked with these. Man, that was a hard ride, but I’m pretty happy now. :smiley:

What’s making things a little complicated is that I installed the Kodi plugin as well (I need it for multi-channel music) and both players at the same time make the IR control a little unreliable. Either Kodi blocks the signals or Volumio and Kodi both react to the IR signals at the same time. I would be happy to keep controlling Kodi through the USB receiver, but that only works after I de-activated the IR plugin. When I finally find out how to create a folder for Kodi and configure an own set of IR signals (different from the Odroid Remote) I might be done with any workarounds, but so far I’m happy I can remote control Volumio.

Can you tell me which device you have chosen for the odroid remote in harmony remote Database?

edit:
I have found it (hard core ODROID C2)

Thanks.

Michel.

Yes, that’s the one. I had to insert ODROID as brand and C2 as model.

Hi Wolfram, can you please guide step by step how Hardkernal odroid or r oremote works on volumio.

In the end there wasn’t much to it. I use a TSOP 4838 IR receiver and connected the three cables as shown in the pic in my post on page two, but the blue cable got connected to the GPIO pin 25 instead of 18.

I updated Volumio to its latest version (not sure if that’s neccessary), installed the IR plugin and selected the Odroid Remote profile in its settings. I made a habit of restarting Volumio after pretty much every change, no idea if that’s helping, but it sure can’t harm.

If you have an Odroid Remote it should work right away. Ok will Play/Pause, Direction Left and Right will jump to the previous or next track and Direction Up and Down will jump 10 seconds ahead or back. I use a Harmony Ultimate One, so I had to install the codes (Odroid/C2).

Does that answer your question? If you have any specific questions, please ask.

Good luck.

Thanks for quick reply. Is there any idea this plugin works odroid ir remote directly with odroid C2 on board ir receiver.

im about to buy a ir reciever , problem is that i have a rpi3 with a allo reclocker and a piano dac on top… can i mount the ir reciever on the piano dac? will the plugin work with a usb ir reciever or? sorry if this is a little of topic

I coudn’t get it to work with a USB IR receiver on my PI 3. Not sure if that means, that it’s not possible in general.

Ah okay thanks for the reply :wink:

Hi,
Can you please confirm will this plugin works with odroid C2 on hifishield+ DAC and odroid remote. Thanks