Playback stops after some tracks with thrid party software

Woah…

That is the quickest and most honest answer I ever got from a support team.
But also a really disappointing one. It looks like your prioritiy is to release a new version of your software each 2/3 weeks, whatever the cost : regression, bugs… not to release a stable version of Volumio with features requested by users for years.
But of course, that does not include the payment system, that probably never fails and is totally bug free, is it ?

UPNP has not worked in a correct way since the release of V3, but worked flawlessly in V2.9xx - so something happened at that time.

Maybe related to upmpdcli ?

1 Like

Hi,

It looks like it worked quite good before the online update. But given the answer, it looks like the Volumio devs are not even aware what you’re talking about :frowning: (Yes I am really irritated for personal reasons)

I can’t go back to Volumio 2.9 because it lacks a feature I really need now I got used to it : a DSP with Parametric EQ. Unless I’ve overseen it, Volumio 2 does not have that :frowning:

Yes, upmpdcli changed from V2 to V3, and it had 2 different ways of handling playback. Not to put blame on anyone…

Then maybe a new “feature” to select what way of handling playback you want to use would be a good idea ?
I tried to switch to an older version of Volumio 3 and : same problem : songs to not play as they should.

I’m not a programmer so don’t know how all the stuff works, but the reason there is two diffrent UPNP to chose from is a change the creator of upmpdcli did in 2020.

• Separate the OpenHome and UPnP/AV UPnP devices. The latter will now show up as -UPnP/AV. Set upnpav=0 in the configuration if it bothers you. This makes upmpdcli more standard, having separate devices for the different sets of services instead of hosting them all under the same device.
    Upmpdcli and associated libraries release notes

Don’t worry, you’re not the only one not being a developer. But the thing you’re pointing at does sound really simple !!!

The whole Volumio team is probably made of salesmen and one intern part time developer… (Yes I am more and more irritated for the same personal reasons I mentioned before and so I can help but not being nice at all).

Are you always this rude?

Yes of course you are.

I just don’t get where you get of insulting people trying to help. Most of us love the product and service. Maybe it’s time for you to move on. Or at least try to be constructive and polite.

3 Likes

Hi Simone,

You read my message and I said that indeed I am irritated for personal reasons… for which I would have liked to be able to rest enjoying music, not fighting with technical issues.

I am also irritated because I paid for a software that does not work properly.

And, yes, I am sometimes rude, but that is not for free. That is to get a reaction. And it seems I got it. Maybe you can explain how the Volumio team is composed ?

The reasons for irritation are now partly gone ; I am in less pain everywhere than I was those last days. So I can be a little less rude :slight_smile:

But I still think it is surprising and somewhat a paradox to read that you have to organize your prioritiies because you are a small team (which I can understand perfectly and which is nice to know) and at the same time see that you have time to move to a major version of Volumio, that you have time to develop hardware that you are offering and promote and that you have time to offer new versions of Volumio 3 every 3 weeks or so… but do not have time to test the new releases in-depth as they all come with a new share of problems and do not have time to implement features requested since a long time by several users.

That gives some bad impression about what you’re trying to achieve… even if that is only an impression.

Anyways, for now, and until I come back here and see that most problems are solved, I have decided to follow your advice and to move to something else.
So, since yesterday afternoon, I am using something else than Volumio.
Something that can play my tracks one after the other with no problem even if I use third party software (BubleUPNP and Symfonium) which is a priority to me as I consider it a basic function (but obviously we do not share point of view on this “feature”) ; that offers sound as good as Volumio ; that is of course a little less convenient to use… But which is totally free and open source (maybe you give a look at their source code ?).

Regards.

Volumio is still using upmpdcli version 1.5.8, but is has been a lot of updates and bugfixes so it is now on version 1.7.2 - so maybe something to test in a future beta release?

1 Like

Remember that this is the Volumio Community Forum, most of us is only users that are trying to help other users. You can be as rude as you like, but don’t expect our sympathy.

2 Likes

Hi Wolfman,

Yes, I understand. And I usually am not rude :slight_smile:

To tell things, I have been through some surgery and the post surgery consequences have been somewhat painful :frowning: And so I wanted to enjoy listening to music while I was resting, and had to face technical issues :frowning:

Anyways, and as I wrote, Volumio offers what I would like to see. And I am prety irritated that the features I want seem to be there… but can’t use them to their full extend :frowning:

I understand that people in here are users and that they may have different needs and concerns than mine.
I understand that a lot of people do not care about about having some “Artist Art” when they’re displaying their musical library by artist. But me, I use (free) third party software that allows to do it (Emby, Plex, BubbleUPNP, Symfonium, Neutron), so it is hard to understand why Volumio can’t do it. Does not seem to be that difficult.
I understand that people do not care about being able to sort their albums by date, instead of alphabetically. But this has been requested several times in past three years, and there, a lot of third part software allows to do it, and I wonder if it would be that difficult to add that feature.
I understand that people probably only use local musical libraries and not music stored on a NAS and as such do not care to have their whole library relaoded each time they want to switch to another album. But again, a lot of third party software can do it and I wonder if it is that difficult to add a feature like that.

I am no developper myself but I am convinced that adding those features is less difficult than to develop a whole new system like Volumio 3.

So I think I am confused about the priorities of the Volumio team… especially as they claim to be a small team but seem to have “giant” ambitions : software for Pi4, software for Android, software for iOs, hardware. Does that not sound more like “dispersion” than “prioritizing” ?

Regards.

P.S. : Sorry for the previous rudeness. Personal reasons as I said. And just to try to get a reaction from the Volumio team.

1 Like

personal reasons are never a reason to be rude, just a cheap excuse.

7 Likes

OK.
I understand.
And I apologized.

But you can stick to the fact that I have been rude indeed…

1 Like

Leaving all the rudeness and other considerations apart. 2 things:

• Third party apps are not a team priority as we tend to focus on Volumio’s internal features, again we have to prioritize. Plus, QA on all third party apps is virtually impossible for us to do (there are too many).
    In this case, after your report we understand it’s a part that requires attention.
  • Your post would have been very useful to understand what was going on, if you provided logs as requested. IMHO this is a place for improving things, not just randomly offending people (you can go to your favourite bar to do that). UPNP is (contrary to what one might think) a complex matter, since every implementor does basically a slight different implementation, so for us is crucial to have more info about it.
  • Sometimes there is the tendency by someone to think that to raise attention on a specific issue a big fuss about it has to be made. To clarify: this does not. It actually just create more noise without any useful info being given to the team. To signal an issue, a polite, informative and complete(logs, description of issue and setup) post helps way more

If there’s the will to point us in the right direction with actual useful info, there is some chance of this improving. Otherwise, if rants is all you get, that might not be the best place for you.

2 Likes

Thanks for the hint! If this verrsion solves the duplicate advertisement of UPNP that would be great… Yes, it’s now on our todo list for one next beta

2 Likes

The two instances of UPNP seems to have been introduced around release 1.5.0 of upmpdcli

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I am willing to help because, as I said, Volumio has all features I would like to use :slight_smile:
As soon as they can be used of course.

I will put back in the SD card with Volumio 3.x latest and will provide logs.

As for third party : I am of course not saying you should support them.
Not only is it not a priority, but it is not even your job to do that.

As I am no developer, I will make a wild guess.
I assume those third party softwares will only work with stuff complying to some standards.
You may decide not to stick to those standards and you can not be blamed for that. That is a decision that is entirely up to you…
But then again, maybe it would be a good move to say “We will not support DLNA/UPNP rendering”. So Volumio could only be driven by Volumio software.
After all, some other are doing it : i.e. Bluesound.
Problem solved…

Because, of course, tracks playing works if I use the Volumio app.
But I would like not to use it because of the aformentioned “restrictions”.
This is the reason why I returned an All-in-One player : it worked with the proprietary software of the developer, which had about the same limitations (subjective statement, people may find your software good enough… hell, some reviews even say Bluesound software is about the best they ever used !!!) the Volumio apps have.

Anyways, back to the subject : I will try to provide logs today (if pain leaves me alone long enough to figure out how to retrieve logs).

Regards.

1 Like

Hi,

Yes, that is probably why some third party apps do see only one instance of Volumio.
I.e. : Symfonium. The developer clearly stated that he will not support Open Home renderers.
So Open Home compliant renderers are simply not displayed.
The opposite happens with BubbleUPNP which one of the third party apps supporting both UPnP and OpenHome. So it sees both.

I think a quick way to solve the problem would be a toggle in “System” settings :

• enable DLNA/UPnP : On/Off
    ’ enable OpenHome renderer : On/Off

But of course, that may sound easy, but difficult to do in real life :frowning:

1 Like