Playback doesn't resume correctly after disconnecting and reconnecting USB output device

Prerequisites

Volumio Information

Volumio Version: 3.703
Hardware: Raspberry Pi 5 with touchscreen
Output device: Sabaj A30a (referred to as “DAC” for simplicity)

Debug Log

http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/S4tlS0W.html

Steps to Reproduce

1. Connect and configure a USB DAC
  2. Start playback
  3. Remove the USB DAC. Observe the popup about the DAC being disconnected.
  4. Reconnect the USB DAC. Observe that the popup does not disappear by itself. Dismiss the popup.
  5. Try to start playback. Observe messages about DAC reconnecting and player restarting. Play does not restart.
  6. Try to start playback again. Play button does not work. Previous track button does not work. Next track button restarts playback.

Expected behaviour

1. The UI should respond correctly to play and previous track requests after the DAC is reconnected.
  2. The first press of the play button after reconnecting the DAC should start playback.
  3. The popup about the DAC being disconnected should disappear by itself when the DAC is reconnected.

Additional Information

My use case: my amplifier is connected to several USB devices through a USB switch. I change source several times a day by using the remote control for the USB switch. Resuming playback after reconnecting is thus a crucial piece of functionality for me.

Can you enable test mode in <volumio-ip>/dev and update to the latest version.
When done, disable test mode again.

Ran the same test with a Topping E30II but can’t reproduce this error.

• Loaded a playlist
  • Pressed Play
  • Removed USB from DAC
  • Popup message appeared
  • Reconnected the USB cable
  • Popup disappeared
  • Waited for the popup message that the player is ready
  • Press play again on current track did fail, but press next and Volumio starts playing.
  • Then you can Play/stop/prev/next

So in short only the Play/Prev won’t work straight away from the track that errored out.

Having just tried to reproduce, I observed the same behaviour as you.

So, the bug is that pressing Play or Previous doesn’t work, and that should be fixed. :slight_smile:

@Stefania_Struzzi

If you have a free moment, please see if this can be added.
It’s a first report with a work around.

Hi,
I have added the bug to our to-do list. We will address it as soon as possible!

Thanks everyone!