Pi 5 - randomly pauses playing and resumes after 5-10 seconds

Hi all.

I have read the common issues page and not found anything before posting this.

I have a 2Gb Pi 4 with Ian Canada power filter, driven by iFi iPower X, connected to both a USB pen drive and a 6Tb external powered USB drive running v3.631 of Volumio. It connects to my home network over Wifi but I just use that for control, not for streaming anything except occasionally Radio Paradise. It’s connected to a Gustard U18/X26pro DAC combo over USB. My files are large 32bit/768kHz files resampled using PGGB. This works fine.

I decided to upgrade to an 8Gb Pi 5 to see if this was snappier and if the extra memory benefitted playback sound quality given the size of the PGGB resampled files. What happens is playback works, but unreliably. For some random reason, playback will pause periodically for 5-10 seconds, and then resume.

I have switched back to the filtered 2Gb Pi 4 using the same micro-SD card I had in the Pi 5 and it is working just fine.

I logged in to the Pi 5 dev URL and ran a log capture which recorded the following whilst in its mystery pause phase:

Lots of these:

error: MyVolumio MQTT error: Error: Not supported

error: MyVolumio MQTT error: Error: Cannot parse topic

error: MyVolumio MQTT error: Error: Connection refused: undefined

and then some of these:

info: CALLMETHOD: system_controller system enableLiveLog true

info: CoreCommandRouter::executeOnPlugin: system , enableLiveLog

info: Launching a new LiveLog session

and finally this:

sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] tag#6 uas_eh_abort_handler 0 uas-tag 2 inflight: CMD

sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] tag#6 CDB: opcode=0x88 88 00 00 00 00 01 35 15 72 e0 00 00 01 00 00 00

sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] tag#5 uas_eh_abort_handler 0 uas-tag 1 inflight: CMD

sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] tag#5 CDB: opcode=0x88 88 00 00 00 00 01 35 15 71 e0 00 00 01 00 00 00

scsi host0: uas_eh_device_reset_handler start

usb 4-1.1: reset SuperSpeed USB device number 3 using xhci-hcd

scsi host0: uas_eh_device_reset_handler success

Any ideas please? I’d like to use the Pi 5 if possible :slight_smile:

I wonder, how did you install mosquito message broker. Can you explain what is that you are trying to achieve with MQTT messages and their state?

Please create debug logs and post in this thread log link for a bug report.