Pi 4 based streamer with oled screen in 5.25 inch case

Hi there,

thought it was time to share a few pic’s of my fairly simple streamer build. The aim was to have a simple oled display and this Monochrome 1.3" 128x64 seemed expensive but I’m very happy.

Sourcing a case came after the display was already connected and working. More by luck than design the 3.5" hdd silencing box collecting dust allowed the display fitment without modification.

At this point it’s 90% done needing some new screws and tidying unside the front plate.

Build notes

1. Pi bolted into base of case
  2. Testing screen fit
  3. Working out layout
  4. Finally getting it together
  5. Figuring out the wiring

Several versions of the wiring happened until I closed the box (for now). Also adjusted the resistor on the blue led to match the power led which is inside a light pipe.

5 Likes

Industrial! Looks really solid and matched your other gear really well.

1 Like

Thanks, I spent ages hunting around ebay before realizing the answer was in a pile of old hard disks

Nice project! Great idea to recycle a HD case. I could use this for other RPi projects (if I could get an RPi :slight_smile:
I am jealous of your OLED. can you point me to how to do an OLED on RPI?
Thanks,
Dave

Check out my Volumio project

The OLED is a pretty easy mod thanks to the MPD_OLED plug in. Just need to buy a supported OLED display and follow some simple wiring instructions. Search the bay for SH1106 128x64 OLED. Tapping the RPI GPIO header can be awkward if you have a i2s DAC Hat fitted.

2 Likes

Nice looking enclosure and the display appears to be big enough to give you just enough info

I used the Volumio Plugin for an easy config on this display Monochrome 1.3 128x64 OLED graphic display - STEMMA QT / Qwiic : ID 938 : $19.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits
There’s a 0.96 inch screen that is super cheap but the 1.3 is nice and clear from a reasonable distance.