Oppo Sonica DAC - no USB connection?

Hello,

It seems Volumio (current version as-of this post) over RPi is not compatible with the Oppo Sonica DAC via USB connection.
Is this correct?
Works seamlessly via a hat, but…

Thanks for any input!

I see no reason why the Oppo Sonica would not be compatible.
According the current usb audio driver it even supports DSD native.

Did you try a different usb cable and a different port?
If yes, then please supply a log.
Start without the DAC plugged in, after Volumio is up, connect the DAC.
When done, submit a log and report the URL here.
How to send a log

1 Like

Thank you, yes I was surprised the Oppo is not recognized. Two different USB A-to-A cables known to work were tried, in both (2) Oppo ports and also 2/4 RPi 3b+ ports (both RPi ports worked with other DACs).
Tried USB connection both before and after RPi was booted, also tried rebooting the RPi after connection. Also tried DAC on/off in these sequences.
No connection/recognition issues for two other DAC models (Loxjie, KORG) I have on hand, so seems it’s not error in connection sequence. FWIW, same problem with SMSL Dp3. Both the Oppo and the SMSL have built-in streamer functions; not sure if that would be an issue, but should not be for the Oppo since it was designed to perform purely as a DAC when preferred.

Also not likely an issue with either USB-A port on the Oppo (or the SMSL) since all ports work fine with bus-powered drives/enclosures.
Re:submitting the log could be tricky for me due to this RPi being a headless server, unless this is also possible to do remotely with the device (phone) hosting the Volumio app? Not experienced in accessing/sending Volumio log reports up to now.

@benanders

Please check the link that Gé provided. It has the instruction how to do this from a browser.

Thanks @Wheaten - I read the @gkkpch link before I replied. The link does not seem to illustrate how to generate / send said log without a unit attached to a screen and keyboard, or if that is possible. I could also [likely] be failing to understand something about how that process works.

“If a browser is open but no one can see it, can it be browsed…” :wink:
Oh well, thanks anyway!

You connect to your RPi over the network, if you don’t have a computer available you should be able to use the web browser on your mobile phone or tablet.

If you don’t know the ip-address for your RPi, you can use the Fing app (available both for Android and iOS) to scan your network.

1 Like

On top of what Wolfman74 said,
An easy way to get the IP of your device:

• Open the Volumio app on you phone/tablet
  • Select Menu (Left top Corner)
  • Open Network, to see the given/assigned IP
1 Like

Thank you, @Wolfman74 and @Wheaten

No chance to reconnect the Oppo yet and implement your guidelines, but I’ll do so first chance I have and aim to report back here.