No sound through Schiit Modi 3

Tried a last micro USB to micro USB cable which was highly rated. Log file: http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/3IAVcvC.html

I see in your log:
Mar 06 09:47:30 volumio initramfs: No USB device detected (when incorrect, try adding 'bootdelay=5' to your boot cmdline)

Did you try addiing;

dwc_otg.speed=1 to /boot/cmdline.txt

Well, no. But update: restarted Volumio, it DETECTED the Modi 3+. Started streaming properly. Happiness!

After a few minutes everything stopped and another reset helped. Giving it a fuller test tomorrow.

Thanks to all for your help!

Nr 1 suspect has to still be the ability of a Pi Zero to power your usb dac. If you can’t find a Pi4, maybe a second hand 3B?

Hi @Wheaten this message is related to Volumio init trying to find usb storage for optional update sticks, not related to any usb failure. The message just shows none were detected, when there were, one should try adding a delay giving the usb port more time to get ready

I also encountered the same issue with my Modi+, not detected in Volumio. It was powered using the included USB power supply and connected to a Pi4 using USB.

Removed the Modi+ power supply and used only the USB cable coming from the Pi4, Volumio detected the Modi+ and played flawlessly.

Hence, I did not self power the Modi+, only use the USB from Pi4. It even work using the toslink or coax as source as long as the Pi is on.

The Modi 3+ will take USB, optical and coaxial digital inputs, just no HDMI.

I had a similar situation with my Modi. Was pulling what little hair I have left out of my head over it. Finally figured that it was a charging-only cable and switched to a known-working full-data cable. Voila! Problem solved.

Right! Got a new cable, restarted everything, and the Modi 3 appeared right away. I also put a wi-fi repeater to enhance signal strength. I discovered the Raspberry Pi Zero W can’t detect 5G networks. With the repeater Volumio reports a signal strength of around 68Mbps.

And it works… kind of. Usually. I’ve found that after streaming for 10-20 minutes it goes quiet. After anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes it usually comes back on, but occasionally it won’t and I have to re-enter the Volumio app, re-find the device, and tell it to begin again.

So further than I was, but still not where I should be!