Hi, so I have a problem with the software volume control and I’m wondering if someone has an idea to resolve it.
I installed a rotary encoder on my Raspberry Pi Zero W/Allo mini Boss DAC which is my Volumio system. First, I tried different scripts that print values until I found the one which makes almost no mistakes. Then I made a script to make the knob change volume using WebSocket commands. To my surprise whenever I was turning the knob, the value of the volume was oscillating up and down. I modified the script so that it would print something every time I turn the rotary encoder and the prints showed no mistakes.
Then I went to look at the journal and that’s where I saw that the volume control was acting weird. Every time I turned the knob I could see “Client requests Volume +” at each pulse. Following that I see “VolumeController::Volume 100” and right after it does “VolumeController::Volume 76” even if there is no request to turn the volume down.
After searching this forum, I saw a suggestion to use “Volumio volume …” commands instead of WebSocket. They work a bit better, but the rotary encoder is still almost unuseful because of the volume controller’s oscillations. Also, the delay makes it more nightmarish.