New 2023 Spotify Plugin

Thanks for the update and a timeline. Does getting gapless working properly lead to the possibility of crossfade functionality? I am not suggesting any change in scope for the current development. We desperately need a stable working Spotify Plugin.

As a Superstar user under the Spotify plugin application, My Playlist listed under My Music does not open and My Album opens very slowly when each clicked. I sent my logs in already but forgot to get the support ticket in Volumio Help Center. I am having the same problems on my other RPi3/Boss Hat player for which I will send in my logs and get a support ticket for reference.

Hi guys,

I have been using Volumio with the spotify plug in for some years now and today for some kind of issue I lost the connection for about 4/5 hours and then I reset everything and is now working fine again.
Thank you for your work
I would like to donate a couple of bucks for the devs and team, how can I do it ?
Thanks

Hi!
I’ve a very big issue when use Spotify connect.
I have a Raspberry Pi4 4 gb with Volumio 3 (latest version) and Spotify connect 4.04 + Peppymeter v 2.2, coupled to an Topping E30II Usb-Dac. When I listen to music from Spotify with Peppymeter inserted (I have tried different versions of Peppymeter and the problem is always the same) I hear continuous “clicks”, stutters during playback, which disappear when Peppymeter is deactivated, with Spotify Music on (Instead playing music from my Nas and from web radios with Peppymeter on, it’s always good, without any clicks or stutters).I tried using another USB port or another usb cable, I disabled all other sources: UPNP-Renderer, Shairport-Sync , DNLA Browser,
Multiroom playback, wifi and hotspot disabled. but nothing at all.
The problem is Spotify + Peppymeter.
Any solution?

i hope the update will fix the problems i mentioned a few months ago

Hello,
i use the latest volumio version V3.661 and Spotify Plugin V4.0.3.
I have the following issue:
When I reduce the volume of a song directly at volumio, the volume go down and all is ok.
But when the next song is starting, the volume is always on maximum.
Even when I change the maximum volume and standard volume in the settings f.e to 40%, the volume of the next song is 100%.
Has anyone an idea?

Hello,
I use Volumio 3.661 (latest version) and Spotify Plugin v4.0.4.
My Volumio can play all my spotify album, except just one : [Spotify](https://Vaiana - La Légende du Bout du Monde).
On Spotify web interface, this album works, but on Volumio Spotify Plugin interface, there no title (nothing). It’s very strange, it appends only with this album.
Any idea?
Thank’s

1 Like

Since the new plugin was launched Spotify is skipping through the songs on my Primo v1, unless I disable ‘Multiroom Playback’ in Volumio.

I’ve been in contact with support and I got the response that it’s a ‘won’t fix’ bug, as this plugin is not official supported.

It’s kind of a bummer as multiroom playback is really nice! So I’m wondering if anybody else has this issue, and if it’s related to the Asus Tinkerboard as my Raspberry Pi 3 doesn’t skip through the songs?

Even if it is not native part of Volumio, there is a work in progress for this plugin. Let’s hope it will improve this aspect…

4 Likes

Hi!
What´s new in Spotify beta vers 4.05? Some fixes?

Best Regards/ C

Do I understand correctly that volume normalization is on by default in this plugin (or in the underlying libs), and that it can’t as yet be switched off?

OK, for me it marks the point where I go back to a cable connection.

The v3 took years to were ready to work properly and now we have the even more buggy v4.

NO folks! Not with me. I want to listen to music and not to fix hours and days with this Plug-In.

I don’t know and I do not want to know how Volumio can sell such expensive devices with such bad plugin-ins.

Sorry to say that. I am with Volumio from the first day but this marks the end for me!

EDIT: I am back at VolSpotConnect2 … the only Spotify plug-in ever worked since. Not perfect but better als everything else coming after.

Hi @Hagbard_Celyne

Please note that community members create these plugins. When Spotify changed their API, the original developer stopped working on the Spotify plugin. Recognizing its importance, Volumio took over development.
Starting from scratch, Volumio is working towards solution. The integration currently works for most users but still has some corner cases that are being addressed.

1 Like

Excuse me @Wheaten,

I understand that and I know many many many developers all over the planet. Many of them in person.
I am in IT business since I am a child.

I really understand much. But not that whats going on here with this plugin. It’s unique in hundreds of projects I was involved. I am arguing with the developers of that plugin-in since many years and was banned for that a couple of times.

This project here is the most worse I have ever seen in my 33 years in that business. And this far (!) beyond every (!) other projects.

Sorry to say that. Really sorry. But it’s a fact.

And because you said “community member project”: Volumio is commercial and I also talked to the representatives of Volumio at High-End Munich and they told me I think more than 5 years ago that there will be an official Spotify plugin for Volumio but it seems that this never will happen. I also wrote tons of e-mails to the developers of Volumio themselves to get rid of that buggy community driven plug-in but nothing helped.

I am really very sorry but I love the product because it fits best in very unique hifi sets but it dies with plug-ins like this here. And that’s very sad for the whole project because it kills creativity and new ideas.

Greets
/hgbc

hi @Hagbard_Celyne

how is your use case ?

for me it is usable very fine by using the connect option

but even the UI option is working ok - still missing the impagination for getting all search results

volume control and family use is also fixed since v4.04

please let me know where you are struggling and what exactly is your setup

maybe i can help :grinning: with a work around

best regards
Josef

Hi @Josh2000,

I have a Raspberry Pi with the newest Volumio OS and (not for now - because I am back on VolSpotConnect2) the newest Spotify Plug-In v4.05 (tried also 4.01 - 4.04).

For me it’s not working at all. First it’s gambling if the devices are finding Volumio at all. If they find them I can connect and start playback but seconds after that connection is closed and no reconnection is possible. Restart of the plugin or the the whole installation works for more 10 seconds of Spotify control. Music plays but I have no control at all. If I control via Volumio itself it works but no chance to change a track on desktop or mobile app.

It was the same on the very early years of that plug-in here.

I built myself a script fired from Node-RED (and yes, I doubled checked everything) to restart the plugin if Spotify recognized Volumio as missing player.

I also reinstalled Volumio with the newest OS from the scratch with only this plugin installed and its the same behaviour. It’s like years before.

The v2 was working with much hard work and much tweaking but after these years it’s all gone with this one now.

And when I am honest: I am sooooo tired about that.

I would pay to have a running Spotify plug-in.
I was thinking about to change to TIDAL because of this plug-in here but TIDAL doesn’t offer the amount of Indie and Alternative music than Spotify. So it’s not alternative for me.

But for now everything is OK with volspotconnect2. So nice you want to help but I am fine with the one which is working. No need for new bugs in plugins I do not need. Music is playing, all my integrations are working fine again. So no need to worry at all. Keep pushing forward this plugin here if you have the time to … I stay at the working one :wink:

Greets
/hgbc

It is odd that it doesn’t work for some. I also have a Pi running latest version of os and plugin. For me it works 100%. No tweaks, no stress. Glad you have a solution that works for you now.

1 Like

hmmmm, at all

1.) could it be something like a network issue here - are you sure mDNS is working fine to find devices? it turned out for me in such cases to fix that on my home network (i swapped to Fritzbox and Ubiquity devices some time ago)

2.) mixing Volumiio v2 and v3 plugins seems to be not the best idea for me - but if that helps out for you it is good for you, but surely unsupported

3.) out of a very similar issue i am also fixed to Spotify :grinning:

4.) i also would be willing to pay - but it seems Spotify is not too much interested in that imho - that’s nothing Volumio is able to fix without willing on the Spotify side

5.) yes we are all tired about that

6.) hey cool - i also will :joy: - checked everything else, staying at Volumio though

best greets also

Josef

Hello guys,

I’ve been using Volumio free with raspberry 3b+ and a DAC from hi fi berry with the plug in for spotify for years and despite some minor issues from time to time I had some great times.

Today I uploaded to the new version of Volumio, I also upgraded to a rpbi 4 and for some reason the spotify plug in is no longer working…

Volumio version: 3.703
Spotify V4.0.5

Any idea or tip ? better be back to the old volumio version ?

Edit: tried on a previous version of the spotify plug in and still not working. When I go to the spotify player it recognizes volumio but after like 2 secs the message appears “At this moment spotify can not play this content…” (something like that I have it in my local (pt) language

Edit 2: Good news ! I just removed the micro sd from my rpbi 3 and put it on the rpbi 4 and guess what ? Everything is working fine.
Volumio version: 3.301
Spotify plug in: 4.0.4

1 Like

I have the same problem, it used to work about 2 month ago, maybe Spotify change the API ? or something wrong with my playlist ? ( too large ? ) or everyone had the same problem ?

Hope it can be fixed in the future, thanks !