New 2023 Spotify Plugin

The last months work Volumino not with my Hardware and spotify, (Allo Boss2). I’ve tried everything.
Please Help me.
Thank you!

I have been using Spotify connect on old plugins on my Volumio. Open Spotify on my phone, connect to Volumio in Spotify app and play. Then I decided to upgrade the plugins on Volumio. Spotify Plugin is logged into a premium account and I can browse playlists etc. But I can no longer see the option on my Spotify app on my phone to connect to Volumio. What am I missing here? Thanks.

Bump on this - has this functionality been removed?

I’d suggest first:

• Uninstall all versions of Spotify plugins from your system
  • Reboot
  • Install the latest version

There does seem to be an issue with using Spotify via an app on your phone/computer if it’s the not the same email address as the one you use to log into the plugin - even if you have Spotify Premium/Duo.

For example I’m logged in with my email in the plugin, then I’m the only one in my ‘Spotify family group’ that can connect via connect. If I logout on the plugin, ‘Connect’ works for everyone, but then Spotify is not available via the plugin.

I prefer the former (I login to the plugin) - I get to use Spotify from the plugin or by Connect, everyone else uses the Volumio browser to use Spotify.

2 Likes

I tried as you suggested and it does appear to be an issue with the emails. So I fixed all of that and now I can load up Spotify on my computer and can play by connecting to my PI with Volumio.

Next question - shuffle doesn’t seem to work. I select it in the spotify app but Volumio just seems to play the playlist in sequential order no matter what I do.

And my Spotify app on my computer reports Network errors every few minutes - although the music does not get interrupted so not sure what that is all about?

Hello

I have the same problem [PLUGIN] Audiophonics EVO Sabre - #38 by snuka

My DAC is the rasptouch from audiophonics RASPTOUCH I-SABRE ES9038Q2M Streamer with Touchscreen 32bit 384kHz DSD128 - Audiophonics

The noise between tracks is rather random but happens often and it’s quite unpleasant.

Sincerely

Christian

Prerequisites

Volumio Information

Volumio Version: 3.569
Hardware: Raspberry Pi 4+
DAC: HifiBerry DAC+ Pro

Debug Log

http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/5Dp53BM.html

Steps to Reproduce

e

1. start your volumio, here a raspberry pi 4, go to plugins > installed plugins > Spotify 4.0.4 > click on Setting
  2. Click on Authorise button and you will be prompt requested your agreement to Spotify to allow volumio to use Spotify.
  3. you can play your music then reboot.
  4. at the reboot you will need to start again the steps 1 and 2 in order to play your Spotify music.

Additional Information

I’ve done a clean install and I’ve the same issue.
Spotify require authorisation at each boot in order to play music and this is very much annoying.

Can it be fixed?

1 Like

I bought my first Raspberry Pi (Zero WH) specifically for Spotify Connect (replacing my 1st gen Chromecast + HDMI audio extractor setup that broke). Got it up and running with the Volumio app. So everythinig is fresh, no old plugin.

However the playback stutters / stops briefly everytime the track changes (by running out or skipping), or when I manually move within the track, which is of course very annoying. When left to run, the track plays fine until its end, and the next track starts with the hiccup again. Pause and resume works fine.

I played around with the available settings (deactivated all sources, DSD Playback mode, audio buffer size, continuous/single playback, Mixer Type hardware to none), and also restarting the device, but nothing seems to make any difference.

Raspberry Pi Zero WH
IQaudio DAC+
Volumio OS 3.569 (Free)
Spotify Plugin 4.0.4

http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/9I8cY0j.html

Is the Pi Zero too weak perhaps? According to the System Information plugin, the CPU has an average load of 183%. But a running playback is stable, the problem only occurs when the playback position is changed.

Would appreciate any help / advice. Thanks in advance!

First thoughts are suitable power supply (enough for the Pi and the dac) and wifi strength. Was the 183% a typo? I struggle to get my Pi 4 above 10%, usually at 1% playing Spotify via the plugin.

What wifi speed does Volumio report? (In Network settings). My Pi4 gets around 400 Mb/s which is loads, I had a 3b which was about 40 Mb/s which was too slow for smooth operation.

1 Like

I have a Pi3 with HiFiBerry2 HD DAC working with my Spotify account via Volumio. All very straightforward.

However my partner wants to use the same to stream her Spotify music when I’m not using it. She’s put Volumio on her phone and set up her own account, added the Spotify Plugin and authorized it to use her account. The device appears on her Spotify app but it won’t connect.

I don’t understand why this isn’t possible?

Is there a solution?

Many thanks
Nevil

Please use the main thread for all things Spotify plugin:

If you see my post from 3 days ago, this is a known problem. Your best bet is to sign out of the plugin, thereby allowing both of you connect via your phones.

1 Like

It is definitely a problem of the RPi0 itself, the single-core CPU is too weak for what you’re trying to achieve.

If you move to a RPi0-2 you will definitely get better performance

1 Like

Thanks for the quick responses!

@SimonE
The power supply was actually too weak, careless of me. Swapping out for a suitable one improved the overall responsiveness and reduced many instances of the stutter, but it still occurs. Also the CPU load well over 100% was not a typo. It’s not constantly that high, but even when not playing anythinig, I’m getting 50%-130% load. So it’s the Zero being too weak. It gets about 70Mb/s wifi speed.

@Darmur
Pi 2 is not available from my vendor; the next available step (in cost) is the 3A+. That should be plenty, right?

RPi0-2 and RPi3A have the same CPU, it should be good to go

1 Like

Hi, first of all thanks for the great work. Since the new plugin I’m having several issues with spotify connect. The most important being not being able to actually connect. This goes for an iPhone SE and Samsung S21 on their latest firmware versions. Simply tapping the volumio device has us waiting to connect endlessly, just until it stops and we’re able to try again and again until it does work.

Logs can be found here:
http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/kDFQgyQ.html

I have created the logs just after being able to connect via the spotify plugin, after trying to use airplay and the connect plugin before, which was unsuccessfull.

I’d prefer the Spotify Connect over airplay, since then we can join on the same session and control the songs played.

Hopefully there is a solution and I wonder: Are we the only ones with this issue? Thanks!

In addition, I’m noticing issues regarding adding songs to the queue and reordering the queue via connect. Is that a spotify issue, or does this relate to the plugin?

Hi, I really like Volumio and the Spotify plugin. With the new plugin version 4.0.4 there are still some things not working perfectly. I think it sometimes cuts the end of the song (not much but a little). Moreover, I am using it in connect mode with an iPhone 14, IOS 17. In the iPhone app, sometimes the song which is playing is not updated i(in the list of the different songs of a playlist) and sometimes it works. What is not working at all is the elapsed time bar for the playing song. It is not updating at all. (in the Volumio UI it does). All that was working with the previous plugin. Any feedback would be highly appreciated.

“Connect” for all users in the network - this replicates same behavior like v3, any user can connect regardless of currently signed in user, no need to logout from volumio

UPD

:warning: Not ready yet. There is wrong behavior in some cases. Still WIP…

3 Likes

ok, thanks, will try - and hope there will be a documentation some day - that i am able to find :grinning:

Hi @SimonE @volumio @balbuze

I found a typo related to switching volitile state, it means somehow related to issues described here with “connect” mode.

Plz take care of it. I didn’t test it on my side.