NAD D3045

Does anyone know how to get volumio to output to a NAD 3045 DAC over USB ? Volumio recognizes it as the output device, but outputs no sound.
It’s running on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2

1 Like

You’d get better sound with a DAC hat on the R Pi 3 and using line in on your NAD amp.
Common wisdom is that all R Pi below the 4 have poor USB implementation for use with sound.
There are digital out hats for the R Pi, they typically give S/PDIF output via coaxial RCA and/or Toslink optical, so perhaps you could use an optical input on your NAD amp.

Thanks for your advice. I just ordered a RPi 4 yesterday, so I’m going to try it out with that. Coming back to this after a couple hours, it is now suddenly working ! Seems like just a glitch - after changing audio out settings, volumio (or the RPi) takes a really long time to reset for some reason.

So, in case anyone is wondering, The 3045 DAC/AMP works just fine with volumio. It natively plays DSD files and it is decoding the MQA files from Tidal.

I also own the D3045, as an amp it is great.
As a DAC it is mediocre at it best.
If you really want to improve the sound get yourself a proper DAC and feed your amp through the analog input.
I really can recommend the Topping E30, a lot of bang for the bucks!

You just use USB port and plug it to PI4 or with DAC HAT on the PI? How about the audio quality?

For what it is worth: I have the Allo USBridge Signature (running Volumio) connected to the NAD 3045 and it works. If I remember well, all I had to do is select the correct output device (NAD USB Audio).