My very personal volumio story 14.5" Touchdisplay

my very personal volume story

looking for a solution to stream internet radio and
I searched extensively to integrate my music archive.

At first I was impressed by Rose Audio’s solution.
Such a device RS150 is a nice thing. the different
views of the front really impressed me. the whole thing should go with it
harmonize with my home stereo system. Because I’m curious
I wanted to know what’s in such a device and why high priced.

The many conversations with people who have such a device
owning it sobered me up. I came across it by chance
volumio and was very impressed by the option of plugins
how to install peppymeter.
My first volumio device with me a raspberry pi 3B were already quite good and with the help of the forums, a small display should also work.

Everything was good up to this point. but the enemy of the good is the better…

My wish was to build a device with the entire front display.
In the meantime I have help the community various devices with displays
from 8 to 12 inches and resolutions up to 1920 x 720. but that was always
the case not yet what I want for myself.

After further research I found a display with a 14.5 inch format for a 43cm wide case.
What I didn’t consider was that unusual resolution of 2520 x 720.

What got me there.

So start again from the beginning. I had great hope for them
community and was not disappointed!

You guys are just amazing in your support!!

The mechanical construction was supervised by a friend, so that’s what he said
was finished before the functional test.

The integration of peppymeter was also greatly supported,
My thanks for this too.

Further expansion with an internal high-quality DAC can now take place.
I will test a few more parts here.

Here is further information

7 Likes

Good job!! Looks great :+1:t4:

Regards,

1 Like

Hello,

The thing looks really great, great job.

Greetings
Torsten

2 Likes

Very great job :+1: :metal:

thank you for the praise :+1:

Looks awesome. I am thinking doing the same.
I might ask questions as I come along…

What is the display unit? Do you have a link for it?
Thanks

1 Like
1 Like

Hi
you write that you helped with displays with a resolution of 1920 x 720, is it about displaying the peppymeter in such resolutions? Can you give a link to the topic? Because I can’t find…

Hello,
there are two links at the end of my first post. Here are the help for setting the display to 2520 x 720 and the help for the templates for Peppymeter. There is also a link for the display I use including the entries for the userconfig.txt

Looking for improvement and perfection.

The HAT DACs I used at the beginning didn’t sound what I wanted and I wanted it better. Now the laborious and time-consuming testing of the different HAT boards began. I started with a simple USB DAC for the first attempts to get to know volumio.
We continued with a hifiberry clone, hifiberry DAC and Allo DAC.
The idea to look at the big ones came very quickly. rose RS150 was the measure of all things and encouraged me to build it myself. So a lot of reading, researching the advantages and disadvantages of the different DAC chips and what was available as an I2S HAT board.
Ultimately the choice was an ES9038Q2M with OLED display, rotary encoder and remote control. The following was that a lot had to be done on the power supply side. The result was a power supply with two toroidal transformers with dual windings and a total of four linear regulator power supplies for the modules. Each linear regulator is buffered with 15,000uf at the output. In order to ensure optimal operation of the HAT DAC, after extensive research I decided to install a triple clock.

That’s not all… Although I couldn’t measure any harmonics or voltage dips on the supplies, I decided to start the battery power supply experiment. The internal structure is divided into three parts and therefore this should also be included in the case. A 12.6V lithium ion battery consisting of 3s4P with a total capacity of 14Ah is now available as a battery pack. The battery provides the entire supply for the modules. In addition, the battery is monitored and, if necessary, charged during operation. For this purpose, BMS with balancer is installed. A small OLED display shows the current consumption and voltage of the modules. Now the simple steel housing should also go. I looked at a lot of wooden casings and made parts as prototypes. Ultimately, palani acoustic showed me which path I should take.

Here is my new result…

2 Likes

that’s a bit like stealing my design

yes and develop your own design, that’s just cheaply copied, sorry that I have to write it here like this

Oscar Wilde, “Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery”

Or Isaac Newton: If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of others.

This is the original wooden case from 2017. WooDyne 6U-104HP ER-Case
The question now arises as to who copied here.
I think we were both inspired by that…

They are very different and pleasing geometric designs. The repeating, overlapping roses on this are really cool.