Music library sorting order, "Various Artists" and samplers


I’ve set up my Volumio on a RPi model B with a Hifiberry. Everything’s working fine, except for one thing regarding the music library; I couldn’t find any fix or setting for it neither on the forum nor on the web and I’m surprised that noone else seems to have that problem.

In the web UI (volumio.local) my library shows up as usual, but all samplers, where the album_artist tag is set to “Various Artists”, show up as one album each containing just a single song. How can I change Volumio’s behaviour, so that it displays albums disregarding the artist in the tags, but regarding the album_artist in the tags?

So my library (in the web UI: middle column, albums) looks somewhat like this:
Hybrid Theory (Linkin Park)
Sampler1 (JayZ)
Sampler1 (Beyonce)
Sampler1 ([Whatever])

and when I click on the first Sampler1, I get just that one song by JayZ.

What I want it to look like:
Hybrid Theory (Linkin Park)
Sampler1 (Various Artists)

An obvious solution would be, to set the artist to “Various Artists” in the tags, but then all files would be “by” Various Artists, which I don’t want, I just want the samplers listed like the albums.

So, if anyone can point me to the solution, I’d be very happy. I already tried looking up the mpd.conf, but I couldn’t find any suitable settings…


I’m afraid I haven’t yet got an answer for you, but I was wanting to solve this exact same problem. And found this.

I have been using MediaMonkey to help sort my music and tags and find lost album artwork.

Using the “Auto-Tag from the Web” option in MediaMonkey, it suggests that the format for the songs on compilation should be “Artist Name - Artist song” in the song title field, while the Artist field should be Various Artist (or whatever the band should be).

I’m not sure this is exactly the solution I’m looking for. There must be a way of having a subcategory for Individual song performers as well as the main artist.

Thanks, I was thinking along the same lines. I think, there must be a setting to adjust the behaviour of the library view. But I don’t even know where to start: I don’t know whether it’s MPD’s sorting or just the Web UI view and glancing at the config files didn’t help, unfortunately.

Maybe someone knows a solution (or at least suitable workaround).