Music library on USB SSD gets wiped out

HW: RaspberryPi CM4 with IOboard, Sandisk Extreme Portable SSD 1TB
Volumio Version: Volumio3 official release + update to newest version

I am using Sandisk Extreme SSD 1TB formatted EXT4 file system and connected via USB as my music library. However everytime I connect the SSD to Volumio installed Raspi, my music library gets wiped out. I can see Volumio starts updating MDP database, then it erases the music files and folders. This happens not once but 5th time until now.
The same behavior happened with Buster Beta’s also.
As I searched this community forum, I found similar report but little bit different case.
If more information is needed please guide me what and how I can provide.

2 Likes

@songskim it’s a known issue and they are looking in to it.

best advice is with a new install remove external drives.

best regards,
dvo

Thank you dvo

Do you mean I should not use an external drive until the issue is fixed?

you better have a copy of it and don’t connect it with a fresh install,
i don’t know how it effects on updates but better be safe then lose it again.

best regards,
dvo

Got it.
I don’t want to go back to my Volumio+NAS set up.
Every music files I have is ripped from the CDs I have. I have copies on my computer anyway. Maybe I should try with ready only file permissions on external drive.
Thanks again Mr. dvo

your welcome songkim,

sorry, that i have no anwsers yet but in time i hope to get it from volumio.

Is it every time you connect an external drive this happens (even for a up and running system) or was it when you installed Volumio and had the drive connected?

Because if it is the first, then it’s a new issue!

1 Like

I also don’t what “with a new install remove external drives” means. Does it mean remove external drives before the update and then add them back after the update?

@songskim As you seem to be able to reproduce the issue, we would really be interested to see a log of this happening.
Could you share some system logs please?
Preferable from a fresh reboot, with minimal steps to reproduce the problem with the ssd being wiped:-)
There were previous reports, but nobody has yet been able to reproduce this, so your help is very important to us and much appreciated.
Though your issue may not be exact the same as was reported before during a Volumio 2 to Volumio 3 OTA update, it might give us an idea what might be happening.

As a “MIT graduate” you should also be able to search the forum, especially using the banner at the top of the forum pages. It will explain what previous reports were about :wink:
Community members are not here to repeat posts that were already made.

I must be searching the wrong way because all I see is “broken” software mixer topics and no software mixer “quality” issues. My search term is simply “software mixer” and my intent was to search all of community forums.

One example of a post on the quality question would be appreciated. I’ve scrolled past dozens that have nothing to do with quality of working SW mixer configs, only broken SW mixers… that’s not my issue.

I was referring to your post above, not your software mixer topic.

1. I did factory reset via WebUI.
  2. I added “dtoverlay=dwc2,dr_mode=host” to /boot/config.txt =>For the system log you want, I know I should keep the minimal initial installation but this is need for Raspi CM4 IOboard to get USB ports get enabled.
  3. I configured the system via WebUI configuration
  4. I connected the SSD

It scanned music files but “DID NOT DELETE THE FILES”
I do not know what different things I did before but the music library is staying.
I installed youtube plugin and my personal radio plugin last time. This time, I have not installed them yet.
There is another difference. I copied music files from my PC to the SSD and connected to Volumio. THIS TIME, I changed the folders and files to 755 permissions before I connected it to Volumio. They are mounted with ownership of ‘volumio:volumio’ and 755 file permissions.

Sorry I could not reproduce the problem yet.
I copied part of the system log before I factory reset. Here is the part of the system log that’s suspicious before I did factory reset. One can probably see it was updating music library then ‘removing’
(Below is part of the log and the whole log is at “http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/Evx3oUl.html”)

`Dec
25 04:56 : update: added USB/Sandisk_1TB/Music/가요/김광석

• Best(Folk)/김광석 - Best Disc 2.ape Dec 25 04:56 :
    update: added USB/Sandisk_1TB/Music/가요/김광석

• Best(Folk)/김광석 - Best Disc 1.ape Dec 25 04:56 :
    exception: Failed to open
    /var/lib/mpd/music/USB/Sandisk_1TB/lost+found: Permission denied Dec
    25 04:57 : client: [2] opened from local Dec 25 04:57 : client: [2]
    closed Dec 25 04:57 : exception: Failed to open ZIP file
    /var/lib/mpd/music/USB/Sandisk_1TB/Music/Classical/Mozart/Mozart
    complete Volume 4 - Chamber Music,Violin Sonatas,Church
    Sonatas/Volume 4(CD8) Violin Sonatas KV 6-9.zip Dec 25 04:57 :
    exception: Failed to open ZIP file
    /var/lib/mpd/music/USB/Sandisk_1TB/Music/Classical/Mozart/Mozart
    complete Volume 4 - Chamber Music,Violin Sonatas,Church
    Sonatas/Volume 4(CD9) Violin Sonatas KV26-31 Variations 359,360.zip
    Dec 25 04:57 : exception: Failed to open
    /var/lib/mpd/music/USB/Sandisk_1TB/lost+found: Permission denied Dec
    25 04:57 : client: [3] opened from local Dec 25 04:57 : client: [3]
    closed Dec 25 04:57 : update: removing
    USB/Sandisk_1TB/Music/Pop/Adele (2008) 19/09 - Make You Feel My
    Love.flac Dec 25 04:57 : update: removing
    USB/Sandisk_1TB/Music/Pop/Adele (2008) 19/08 - Right as Rain.flac Dec
    25 04:57 : update: removing USB/Sandisk_1TB/Music/Pop/Adele (2008)
    19/07 - First Love.flac Dec 25 04:57 : update: removing
    USB/Sandisk_1TB/Music/Pop/Adele (2008) 19/06 - Melt My Heart to
    Stone.flac Dec 25 04:57 : update: removing
    USB/Sandisk_1TB/Music/Pop/Adele (2008) 19/05 - Crazy for You.flac Dec
    25 04:57 : update: removing USB/Sandisk_1TB/Music/Pop/Adele (2008)
    19/04 - Cold Shoulder.flac Dec 25 04:57 : update: removing
    USB/Sandisk_1TB/Music/Pop/Adele (2008) 19/03 - Chasing Pavements.flac`

I will trace carefully and report it better if it happens again.

this happend to me too

Would people please stop reporting “me too”, this does not help at all, actually it is absolutely useless, whereas they possibly have information that would help finding a pattern.
Devs will love to get system information like platform (PI, Tinker, x86), USB disk make and model, in case of a self-installed one, the make of the usb-to-sata case. Also give details about the type of disk ssd/hdd and its size.