Multi-Channel DACs and Content

With devices like the Okto DAC8 and ExaSound 8 channel coming out, will Volumio be enhanced to play multi-channel content when a multi-channel DAC is present? I see that it already processes and down-mixes both pcm and dsd 5.1 files… Not that there is all that much good 5.1 content out there, but still, it would be nice to play some of this content I have from 20 years ago through a modern DAC. :wink:

Certainly, it’s a “nice to have” not a “must have” feature, but how many times do developers have to change the UI anyway? :wink:

I sorted my requests here, as it seems to be right.

Hi!
I would like to see an auto-change mode for the available DAC/Digital-out-hardware:

Most higher soundcards have a very very good Line Out - standard so far for usage with volumio.
But they also have options for digital Out via cinch or fibre or HDMI and let the receiver do the DAC work.

As music prividers have Atmos / DD- music available, it would be perfect to adapt the music interface section like
“Stereo Output device:”
“Multichannel output device:” (can also be the same stereo device)
and give volumio an automatic detection at each music file.

Using AV-receivers means to connect e.g. Line In and optical SPDIF to the same input channel - which is standard. I own several DTS CDs which I can’t use in volumio, Tidals Atmos music would be nice, too.
But to Change the output device each time… Naaaaaah…

The original request with multi-channel-analog-out should of course be a valid choice in the selection
Kodi has a very nice setup for the audio selection/up-/downmix, perhaps copy-able.
I own an Onkyo SE200 PCI Soundcard with 7.1 analog out, which hast even nice SNR etc on those stereo ports.
So the selection “stereo”/“multichannel” should allow all available devices.