LMS issues. Wont start and RPi freezing

Have been trying to get LMS (Logitech Media Server) up and running, so far without success.
Scenario is:
RPi4 v1.5 1Gb memory
Adafruit I2s DAC bonnet
Volumio Premium v 3.423
Connected and setup purely by WiFi. Initial setup via Hotspot.
Dev options for “test plugins” and “SSH”

Installed LMS Docker Edition v0.1.1 and Squeezelite MC
When accessing the LMS page 192.168.1.190:9000, system hangs on “Loading LMS”

After several minutes the RPi will completely freeze. SD card access light solid green.

What is wrong. Have tried previous incarnations of Volumio without success

Update. Triedfresh install.
Used LMS Docker Edition v0.1.0 and Squeezelite MC.
LMS now boots, but settings / mysqueezebox.com login cannot be set? Says invalid user name / password

User name for mysqueezebox.com works fine on picoreplayer and PC login

So far I haven’t been able to understand the advantage for a LMS plugin.
LMS does require some resources, so you need some patience before it’s fully loaded or reloaded after enabling plugins (LMS)

I decided to drop the ball on these plugins and just perform a manual install. In this way you can updated LMS, without being depended on the plugin developer and haven’t had issues with it since. For all three plugin version I have had issues. the most stable one seems to be :

Manual install:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install libcrypt-openssl-rsa-perl
wget https://downloads.slimdevices.com/LogitechMediaServer_v8.3.0/logitechmediaserver_8.3.0_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i logitechmediaserver_8.3.0_all.deb
rm logitechmediaserver_8.3.0_all.deb

Running on the rPi4-8GB:

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.2volumio@volumio-ifi:~$ systemctl status logitechmediaserver
● logitechmediaserver.service - Logitech Media Server
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/logitechmediaserver.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Fri 2023-02-03 14:13:39 CET; 4min 50s ago
 Main PID: 4477 (squeezeboxserve)
    Tasks: 2 (limit: 4915)
   CGroup: /system.slice/logitechmediaserver.service
           ├─4477 /usr/bin/perl /usr/sbin/squeezeboxserver /usr/sbin/squeezeboxserver --prefsdir /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/p
           └─5771 /usr/bin/perl /usr/sbin/squeezeboxserver-scanner --priority=0 --wipe --logconfig=/var/lib/squeezeboxserver

The one reason LMS would be useful, is to access BBC Sounds.
After May BBC content will be unavailable without it.

Thanks for the pointer above, will give it a go on a fresh SD card :+1:

I do understand why you want to use LMS :joy:
I am a sucker for Dynamic playlist 4

Got it installed and plugins set up with passwords. :grinning:
How do I define a player within LMS. Normally comes up by default?

you need to enable a plugin in LMS, so you can select Volumio as output.

You can install (never got it to work properly though, I am using picoreplayer for this purpose):

Yep are right, it’s glitchy to say the least. In fact it doesn’t work
In effect you have to use Volumio as the server and PiCoreplayer as a player over my network.
Which does not make sense and is a waste of a Pi!

PiCoreplayer works out of the box, and can be configured to be a player, server or player-server!
Best of all it is free! and works faultlessly with LMS, Spotify and my Flac collection.

can’t argue with that. But then again it all depends on your needs. piCore is a bitch to maintain or adding features to it. It gave me some sleepless nights (not in Seattle) just to get a slightly adapted SDD1306 up and running.
So I am running LMS on HP Elitedesk and uPnp everything I want to Volumio. Get the best of both worlds.

You are right, both OS’s have there merits.
Most of my PiCore players are headless, once set up, hidden away and forgotten about.

I like the single interface of Volumio for displays.

Hey ho, it was worth a dabble. Thanks for the help anyway