IR Remote Controller - Apple A2854 (3rd gen Siri remote)

Apple 3rd Gen Siri Remote - A2843

telecomanda-apple-tv-gen-1-1692796401

Hello

I am trying to configure IR Remote Controller for the Apple A2854 remote.

I have installed the plugin and the IR receiver and i am getting signal when i enter “mode2 -d /dev/lirc0” command via SSH.
How do i configure the lircd.conf and lircrc files and where are they stored exactly?
I’ve noticed that on Volumio3 there is no /Data/Plugins/Accessory folder but instead you cand find ir_controller in Data/Plugins/System_Hardware so i guess the info available in existent topics is outdated.

UPDATE: Siri remote does not use IR for all buttons, just for Volume Up, Volume Down and Mute. I’ve checked with the phone camera.

I’ve uploaded the config file.
lircd.zip (1.2 KB)

If you don’t already have a “lircd.conf” file for the Apple A2854 remote, you would have to record the “lircd.conf” file yourself.

Regarding creating a “lircrc” file I suggest to have a look at the files already provided with the IR Controller plugin. You can inspect them here.

User-specific configurations for remote controls should be stored under “/data/INTERNAL/ir_controller/configurations”. “/data/INTERNAL” should be accessible as an SMB share.

“/data/INTERNAL/ir_controller/configurations" a subfolder must be created for each custom remote control, in which the LIRC files “lircrc” and “lirc.conf” are stored.

So, in your case in “/data/INTERNAL/ir_controller/configurations” you would create a subfolder named e.g. “Apple A2854” and copy “lircd.conf” and “lircrc” into it.

The name of the subfolder appears in the list of selectable remote controls on the config page of the IR Controller plugin. If this name is also used for one of the remote control configurations already supplied, the user’s own configuration with the same name takes precedence.

NOTE: Updating the plugin does not affect the user-defined configurations. However, when the plugin is uninstalled, the “/data/INTERNAL/ir_controller” directory is deleted along with all the subfolders and files it contains.

Is it even possible?

I guess i am not the only one who has thought of using the latest apple remote and i’ve also noticed that a lot of the remotes supported by the plugin are old.

I’ve tried to record the signals from A2854 and only 3 buttons send a signal (volume up, volume down and mute).

I have also tried using an older Samsung BN remote and that one worked for volume control so except the lircd.conf file everything else seems ok.

I could buy and older Apple A1294 remote but i would prefer using either the existing newer model or the remote of the soundbar (Samsung Harman Kardon) but i could not find a config file for that either.

Update: it is possible to use volume up, volume down and mute buttons from the latest Apple TV 4K remote. The rest of the buttons are using bluetooth.

I have tried to record a lircd.conf file with this command: “sudo irrecord -n -f -d /dev/lirc0 ~/ircd.conf” and it seemed to work.
I have created a subfolder in “/data/INTERNAL/ir_controller/configurations" and then copied the created .conf file there along with an already available lircrc file.

Because it is not mentioned elsewhere i would like to mention that you have to navigate to that folder with cd command and thant use mkdir and cp commands to create the folder and copy the files. At least this is the starting point for someone who doesn’t know how to do it.

Then, i have edited the lircrc file because it does not use KEY_VOLUMEUP and KEY_VOLUMEDOWN.

After a reboot it seems to work, but there is a problem with the recorded file. If i keep volume up pressed longer than half a second it send volume up and than volume down. This can be also noticed by using irw command.

UPDATE: solved the issue with the codes by using irw to get the proper codes transmitted by the remote. Then i’ve edited the config file manually. Now i have volume up and down working.

BTW, why does holding the button pressed not working?