IQaudiO Pi Digi+

Where do you miss it? It should be present in Volumio 3.x after a clean install on your Pi. If you miss it in a Raspbian distro you might want to refer to the IQ Audio manual

Hello

I also have the problem of Missing IQAudio Digi+ Card on Volumio 3

I have been trying to fix this problem myself with so far no success.
I have found the dacs.json file in the file system and to my eyes it looks the same as in the Documentation/ other forum post about testing DACs for inclusion. (Small typo/ missng peramiter?)

So from my simple view it looks like it should work but is missing from the I2s dropdown list.

There ae several versions online for the Digi+ manual
Version 30 Includes the Digi+ Later versions do not.
https://wiki.geekworm.com/images/4/42/IQaudIO.pdf
I have followed the instructions, but I have either Bricked the system, or failed to work. Not entirely sure why.

I note that a HifiBerry Digi card also with the wm8804 chipset is also causing problems. Maybe the two are linked?

Thanks

Richard

PS I couldnt find this post searching easily for iqaudio or IQaudio or IQaudiO. Baffled.

Very strange, it is present in my V3 drop-down list. Dropbox - IMG_6237.jpg - Simplify your life

There should be 3 IQaudio items in the drop down list. According to the dacs.json file
One of which is the Digi+ which uses a different chipset to the other two. It provides a Toslink (which I use) and Coax output.

I seem to have bricked my system & corrupted my SD card now with my fiddling :confused:

I had a fresh look just before it failed between th system dacs.json the Documentation & V3 beta test help Post. I may have spotted a difference. And then It went wrong…

Fresh head needed!

Fresh system take 4.

volumio_I2s_IQaudio

Two IQaudio dacs shown, neither of which are for the PI-Digi+

Checked the dacs.json file in the system & documentation

System File

{"id":"iqaudio-dacplus","name":"IQaudIO DAC Plus","overlay":"iqaudio-dacplus,unmute_amp ","alsanum":"2","alsacard":"IQaudIODAC","mixer":"Digital","modules":"","script":"iqamp-unmute.sh$
 {"id":"iqaudio-digiplus","name":"IQaudIO Pi-Digi+","overlay":"iqaudio-digi-wm8804-audio","alsanum":"2","mixer":"","modules":"","script":"","needsreboot":"yes"},
 {"id":"iqaudio-amp","name":"IQaudIO Pi-DigiAMP+","overlay":"iqaudio-dacplus,unmute_amp ","alsanum":"2","alsacard":"IQaudIODAC","mixer":"Digital","modules":"","script":"iqamp-unmute.sh"$

Documentation

{"id":"iqaudio-dacplus","name":"IQaudIO DAC Plus","overlay":"iqaudio-dacplus,unmute_amp ","alsanum":"2","mixer":"Digital","modules":"","script":"iqamp-unmute.sh","i2c_address":"4c","needsreboot":"no"},
{"id":"iqaudio-digiplus","name":"IQaudIO Pi-Digi+","overlay":"iqaudio-digi-wm8804-audio","alsanum":"2","mixer":"","modules":"","script":"","needsreboot":"yes"},
{"id":"iqaudio-amp","name":"IQaudIO Pi-DigiAMP+","overlay":"iqaudio-dacplus,unmute_amp ","alsanum":"2","mixer":"Digital","modules":"","script":"iqamp-unmute.sh","needsreboot":"yes"},

Both of which clearly show the IQaudio Pi-Digi+ as well as the other two. Baffled. And the differences I spotted last night were for the other two DACs, which are showing in the system. More baffled. I was hoping to spot a silly typo etc.

I think I have run out of ability/understanding to progress further. I guess I should fire up a volume 2 install and have a look there next.

Help & suggestions welcome please!

The “iqaudio-digi-wm8804-audio” is missing the “alsacard” setting, that is why it will not be listed.
The alsacard value should be “IQaudIODAC”, identical to the other two.
Like this:

{"id":"iqaudio-digiplus","name":"IQaudIO Pi-Digi+","overlay":"iqaudio-digi-wm8804-audio","alsanum":"2","alsacard":"IQaudIODAC","mixer":"","modules":"","script":"","needsreboot":"yes"},

That won’t help you much :wink:
With V3 all card entries in dacs.json must have an “alsacard” setting.

Thanks gkkpch.

I now have the IQaudio Pi-Digi+ shown in the drop down menu. :+1:

Sadly, it still doesnt work. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: I now get an error

ALSA failed to open “volumio”; no such device.

More to investigate.

Whilst fiddling I noticed that the ST400 DAC Also calls the IQAudio Digi+ Information, so I tried that, and sadly that also fails with the same error (which may be expected but I thought I would try)

And I had just finished writing V2 SD card when I read this. Great timing :slight_smile:

Did you reboot?

Yes.

I made the changes.
Reboot system.
Selected IQaudio Pi Digi+
System Reboots
Tried & failed
Checked my changes & rebooted again
Still fail
Select headphones audio works
Reselect Iqaudio
Reboot
Still fail
Reboot again
Still fail

It has just occurred to me that my system also has a Pico UPS HAT on it. It hasn’t caused problems with V2. But I have not tried to physically remove it yet either, in case there is a conflict of some kind in V 3

I have a similar problem and would love a proper solution.

But I found that selecting R-PI DAC at least seemed to allow ALSA to playback audio - but not sure if this is the best option.

2 Likes

After a interlude with far too much food, I’m back to fiddling.

Happy new year folks!

I have disconnected the UPS board, so I now just have a Pi & IQaudiO Digi+ board.
Sadly the same ALSA No Volumio device fault.
Log file >
http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/BjasaiG.html

Quite a few errors in the log file. I can spot some of the symptoms, but not sure about much of the causes, as I don’t understand enough. Ill carry on digging though.

Any hints very welcome!

Wheaty

just some thoughts:
open /boot/config.txt and make the following change:

to:   #dtparam=audio=on

if the line dtoverlay exist in /boot/config.txt, disable it:

to:   #dtoverlay=iqaudio-digi-wm8804-audio

open /boot/userconfig.txt
add: dtoverlay=iqaudio-digi-wm8804-audio

Execute the following commands:

sync
sudo reboot

after reboot type the following in the terminal (don’t configure anything in Volumio yet)
aplay -l

Is the soundcard listed?

Yes. I don’t think it has been in the past.

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: IQAudIODigi [IQAudIODigi], device 0: IQAudIO Digi HiFi wm8804-spdif-0 [I QAudIO Digi HiFi wm8804-spdif-0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I have tried similar to your suggestions previously, but that was before I modified the dacs.json file & bricked the system again. I want keeping good enough track of the trial and error clearly.

Unfortunalty still having the failed to open alsa no such device error still. :frowning:

Sorry to hear. Since I don’t have this hardware I have no other suggestions.

Amusing fiddling find…

The AlloDigiOne driver gives optical audio (its a Coax S/PDIF board)

However the timing is different. The audio is approximatly 1.5times faster. Everything I play sounds like some enthusiastic, but talented chipmunks are giving it ago! :joy: :rofl:

Still not made an real progress though.

I am curious how this will sound in your case:

2 Likes

This is screen from older version. AMP type is different no work.

credit to those that have assisted in this thread above. Thank you! I’ve basically just worked my way through a few options and tried to remember my was around Linux

Ah HA!
I have a work around, which is surprisingly simple, yet slightly different to what I have tried before. My last attempt stopped the Playback options page from loading, it was just blank. No idea how I did that.

So From my umpteenth fresh install I have…

1)Enable SSH via volumio.local/dev
Im assuming you know how to SSH into your Pi.

2)edit dacs.json

Location /volumio/app/plugins/system_controller/i2s_dacs/dacs.json

Use nano to edit the file.
Find the line for iqaudio-digiplus and add this like the other IQaudiO lines.

“alsacard”:“IQaudIODAC”

The modified lineshould look like this.

{“id”:“iqaudio-digiplus”,“name”:“IQaudIO Pi-Digi+”,“overlay”:“iqaudio-digi-wm8804-audio”,“alsanum”:“2”,“alsacard”:“IQaudIODAC”,“mixer”:"",“modules”:"",“script”:"",“needsreboot”:“yes”},

open /boot/config.txt and make the following change:

to: #dtparam=audio=on

Hash out your existing dtoverlay and add the correct one for the Digi+ with the wm8804

hash: #dtoverlay=iqaudio-dacplus
add: dtoverlay=iqaudio-digi-wm8804-audio

1. Execute the following commands:

sync
sudo reboot

My Pi 2 then failed to reboot. So I had to pull the plug .

Check

aplay-l

Mine looks like this.

volumio@pifi:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: IQAudIODigi [IQAudIODigi], device 0: IQAudIO Digi HiFi wm8804-spdif-0 [IQAudIO Digi HiFi wm8804-spdif-0]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
volumio@pifi:~$

IQaudio Digi is now listed as a device! Woo! :grinning:

Downside is from the web interface, when selected from the dropdown list it still fails to play :pensive:

However, I tried to go back to the headphone output, and the only option listed now is the IQaudio Digi+

Which plays! Hooray! :smiley:

So. for now Im a happy chap. Full digital to my Amp with then does the hard part. Fab :+1: And its only ever so slightly different from all the combinations I have tried before. Typical!

Hopefully, this will ring some alarm bells for the Devs, as it feels to me like an easy fix/minor glitch in the code.

So for now, I hope this is a temporary fix for others.