How to use Volumio with my new "Roon endpoint"

Greetings fellow Volumio’s. I have been using Volumio for a few years now and very much enjoy it. My son (who has since passed) redesigned my audio computing from an Apple system (Macmini with attached SSD out via usb) to two raspberry pi4: one with Volumio connected to my audio, and one with (I believe) Ubunto or some other Linux software for my attached SSD music library. This system (though without my understanding it) has worked flawlessly, but alas my audio system became too complex over time with a number of USB treatments, and doo-dads, and I have now simplified to a single Ethernet input Streamer/DAC/Preamp unit that is a “Roon endpoint”. I can now stream Qobuz directly to this unit via Ethernet which I like doing, and it sounds wonderful, but my interface is now the Mconnect app which is unacceptable. Is there any option (plug-in ideally) that would allow me to continue to use Qobuz, continue to use Volumio as my UI (which I love), and playback via Ethernet direct to my Streamer/DAC/preamp AND (maybe dreaming now)* still be able to access my attached SSD library as I was able to do before via Volumio as well? I appreciate any help you can provide in advance. Please excuse any improper terminology or posting-etiquette faux-pas. Cheers!

I’m so sorry about your son. I can’t imagine how difficult it is to lose a child.

I have now simplified to a single Ethernet input Streamer/DAC/Preamp unit that is a “Roon endpoint”. I can now stream Qobuz directly to this unit via Ethernet which I like doing, and it sounds wonderful, but my interface is now the Mconnect app which is unacceptable.

Which unit do you have? Its built-in streamer will only work with music player software that it is compatible with.

On iPhone/iPad, there is an alternative to the mconnect app with much better interface called JPLAY (https://jplay.app/). It requires a $50/year subscription (14 day free trial to check it out). On Android, try the BubbleUPnP app.

You said that your unit will work as a Roon endpoint, but I presume that you haven’t used Roon software. Roon has an excellent interface but has a relatively expensive subscription, and requires setting up a computer running Roon Server on your network.

Since you’re using a Roon endpoint, I expect you have a 3rd system acting as Roon server?
You know you can go to one single solution using the paid subscription of Volumio, which is way cheaper than Roon.
Volumio (paid) has Qobuz nativly integrated and you can hook your USB disk to it. (there is a 15 day trail)
Using the Volumio app on your mobile device, you can control everything.

He has a streamer/DAC/preamp component that supports Roon (just like Volumio also supports Roon Bridge), but he is running it as a UPnP streamer using the mconnect app. He cannot switch over to Volumio without replacing his streamer unit with something else (a plug-and-play Volumio replacement would be the Integro).

Yeah I think the poster should give more details on his dac/streamer.
Also the Roon part confuese me, as a Roon end point or phone app needs a Roon server, unless I miss something? (Not a Roon enthusiast)

Thank you both for your input and your help, I sincerely appreciate it. Prior to trying out this “Streamer/Dac/Preamp” I was using the annual payment Volumio and Qobuz- (I still am, and don’t plan on changing) but my interface with Volumio is via a linux system that my son programmed (two RPi4, one with Volumio living on it, and to be honest, I don’t know what is on the other one)- together they allow me to both interface with Qobuz and my own music library on my laptop and with my phone. What was bothering me was that my “rig” is overly complex - I run the Pi4 (attached to an lps) off of an Etherregen (attached to an lps), which is attached to an Afterdark clock (attached to an lps) which then enters my DDC via USB, and then out spdif via BNC to my DAC- you get the idea- the truth is, I have essentially “tuned” all of this over time, and with my preamp and active monitors I have a wonderful system - but because I don’t understand the Raspberry Pi’s, I feel vulnerable in a way, which is why I was entertaining the “all-in-one” option of a Streamer/Dac/Pre, thinking how cool it would be to just plug an ethernet cable into the piece and be done. Besides the sonic presentation not quite supplanting my complex rig, I missed Volumio as my partner in navigating Qobuz - the MConnect app just was not giving me the same intuitive pleasure and reliability- long story short - I realise that, though overly complicated and nuanced with its variety of essential sonic-adjusting doo-dads, my system sounds glorious, and as a musician, I am super-picky about timbre and tone - I’m going to simply move on from my experiment, sell the all-in-one and for the time being, keep what I have. I suppose moving forward, I could always easily adopt one of Volumio’s “off the shelf” units to take the place of the raspberry Pi’s, but since they have so much sentimental value to me, I hope that is never necessary - but this endeavor forced me to break free of them for a bit, proving I can do that if necessary, and I would, to be honest, if the end result was better sound, and I will know it when I hear it. :slight_smile: Cheers!

BL