How to make Volumio3 images work on OrangePi Zero 3?

It’s a new powerful model of OrangePi. H618 processor with DDR4 ram upto 4G . Is there any way to make Volumio3 work on the new OrangePi Zero 3.

1 Like

There is no Volumio support for the OPi Zero 3, I’m not aware of anyone trying to port Volumio to this platform either.

the OrangePi Zero 3 is not even supported by Armbian.

Without Armbian support, it’s almost impossible that someone will work on a Volumio porting

I believe @darmur 's remark is important here.
In the past a lot of the porting was done with Volumio Community generated (vendor) kernels and u-boot. Over time, this appeared no longer sustainable because of the maintenance involved. This was one of the reasons why I have stopped support for most of the Community Portings I did in the part.

Official Armbian support for the board is the only reasonable solution to take away the effort for kernel and u-boot build issues.
However, this does not mean that now any board supported by Armbian could have a Volumio porting. It will still require the board to be a very popular one AND a community developer willing to invest his time to develop and maintain the build.

OPi Zero 3 with the H618 is fairly new, there are unsupported Armbian builds around which should not be used. But who knows what the future will bring.

If you want a “Zero”, check also the Radxa Zero. It is amlogic based, availability is improving. It is very responsive, faster, however differently featured. 1GB is enough and there is a community build for it.

1 Like