How to load USB DAC driver

Hello, I’ve been running Volumio for several years on 3 RPI3B with Hifiberry and allo amps and I2S DACs. Now I bought an SMSL D6 USB DAC but it doesn’t show up on the list of output devices.
Can I load the driver for the DAC onto the Volumio SD card on my Windows PC? I’m wondering if this might be a solution since I know nothing about Linux to load it directly on the pi. Any other ideas to try?

Thanks

It shouldn’t be necessary to load a driver. Try this:

1. Plug your DAC into the RPi USB port
  2. Open Playback Options > Audio Output
  3. Turn off I2S DAC and Save
  4. Reboot
  5. Open Playback Options > Audio Output
  6. Your USB DAC should appear in the Output Device list. Select it and Save.

Thanks for your help. I tried the process that’s described but it doesn’t show up on the list of options, only headphones and HDMI. The DAC has its own power and the pi is powered by a 2.4A power bar. Does it need to be higher?

please provide a system log

Here’s the system log:
http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/PfoNAZt.html

Not sure if I need a paid subscription to create a ticket in the help center.

• Replace the power supply as the logs shows multiple “Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)”
  • Please try with a different USB cable to connect the DAC to the rPi
  • Remove everything else from the USB port.

please create the system log right after you connect the USB DAC

The DAC shows up now, it may have been because the DAC was set to optical source input for the TV. It shows up when I switch the input to USB. Or maybe it was the power supply. Anyway, I’m sure the new 3 amp power supply will be an overall improvement. Thanks everyone for your help in fixing it.

1 Like

I’m guessing that the DAC is made that way to isolate noise. The switching is software based.