How to duplicate an existing build?

Hi, I’m enjoying my Volumio build on my rPi 4B so much that I want to build a nearly-duplicate setup so I can listen to the same sources in different locaions. The existing one (let’s call A) is built into my Okto Research DAC with an external touch display. It has no other mods. If I wanted to make a 2nd touch display-based system (call it B) on a 2nd rPi 4B with a digital output to run on the same network, could I not just duplicate the microSD card, then make some modifications as needed? Will the Volumio number & URL be automatically different on unit B or need to be assigned?

In terms of plugins, I have several installed including the Backup / Restore one. Should I just build B the same as A, install the plugins, then restore A’s setup to B?

In the Backup & Restore Data plugin (v. 0.7.4), why do the last two options always default to off? Does my config actually get backed up? I’m not worried about album art as that can rebuild itself in the background.

I realize I will need to upgrade my license to have the same music playing on both. But I’d like some reassurance on all the other setup questions. TIA.

you can create a backup image with win32diskimager and have an exact copy. However, I would strongly suggest to just flash a new SD for the new player. Things like ip address will be taken care off by your router.

1 Like