How boot process works

Hi All,

I’m trying to understand the process with Volumnio on a Rasberry Pi.

So you flash a MicroSD card with the RPi Imager v1.74, stick it in a USB port on the RP, and voila, you have a bootfs partition 254MB and you are in business.

Then you flash Volumnio onto the “same” MicroSD (?) Am I understanding this correctly? Or do I need to flash Volumnio on a second MicroSD card? I tried both approaches and I’m not having any success with Volumnio.

Thank you,

Gtrdn

Depending on your hardware:
rPi flash it on a SD, boot from the SD and Volumio will come up after a few minutes
x86 flash it to a USB stick, boot from the USB and Volumio will show up after a few minutes.

The downloaded image is all you need

More fun: after booting from SD on an Asus Tinkerboard or from a USB on x86: you can transfer Volumio to emmc (tinkerboard) or any connected emmc/nvme/hdd/ssd on x86 device using the function in the System menu and boot from there afterwards.

I have the RP 4 Model B, does anyone have a link where the process to make necessary changes to the boot process and update or move any of the files required to boot is listed on one thread?

1 Like

Don’t make this more complex then it is. There is no need to change files or anything else.
just flash an SD with the Volumio image, stick it in the rPi boot it and wait for the welcome screen.

2 Likes

Thanks for your help, this was my first time using a Rasberry Pi, let alone Volumnio, learning curves all day long but I did eventually get Volumio installed and am using it on a Waveshare 11.9 inch LCD via HDMI that I plan to mount in a Vintage stereo cabinet an old scrapped unit I found at Goodwill for $15. It turned out well and I was able to get it all installed in only 8 hours, lol. It should have been a lot faster if I’d of had a little more Rasberry Pi experience.

2 Likes

What were your point of confusion? What was not clear?

Asking detailed feedbacks so we can improve by making everything more accessible to newcomers

2 Likes

Even easier now that the latest eeprom firmware on Pi4,CM4, Pi400 (not sure about earlier Pi’s) will automatically download the RPi Imager utility and from that will allow you to select Volumio as your OS and your SD Card (or eMMC, NVMe SSD or USB stick) as the destination to write the Volumio image to. You just need to plug in a mouse and a monitor to your Pi and then an Ethernet cable to your Home Network Router and a Pi without a bootable image will automagically bring up the Imager utility and away you go.

1 Like

I guess this guy puts SD card to USB port using some adapter.

1 Like

To launch the Imager from HTTP boot you just need to have NO bootable media on your Pi. On power up the bootloader walks down the configured boot order locations to find a bootable init file and if it fails to find one it will start the HTTP connection and download the Imager from the Pi Repo. From the Imager menu you select the OS image you wish to install and then insert an SD Card or USB flash drive into your Pi and select “Write” on the Imager GUI. The Imager will then write the image you have selected to the storage medium you have selected. Reboot when the image has been written and verified and the Pi will boot up with that selected OS image.

And yes if your Pi is a CM4 with no SD Card slot then use a USB to SD Card adapter.