Hifime s2 digi compatibility

Hi all,

I am running latest Volumio (3.569) on rpi4 with FusionDSP plugin.

I have a toslink-usb converter (Hifime s2 digi) to connect my Cambridge transport cd player to volumio. But it sounds distorted : I have set on a windows PC the sample rate to 44k/16bit but when plugged to volumio and selected as audio source it is seen and used at 48k .

Any help on how to fix this ? Thanks

After some investigation looks like the problem is related to Volumio sw stack : if I bypass Volumio and I redirect “Hifime S2 digi” input to my usb connected DAC using command line “arecord -f cd -D hw:2,0 | aplay -r41000 -D plughw:5,0 -” sound is ok.

Any suggestion on how to have Volumio fixed on this ? Thanks

does it work if you disable FusionDSP and reboot?

with that command you bypassed both Volumio and the plugin

To make thing easier to investigate, I flashed a brand new SDCARD with latest Volumio and no plugings at all. After running through initial Volumio setup, I enabed SSH and connected to Volumio where I run “arecord -f cd -D hw:2,0 | aplay -r41000 -D plughw:5,0 -” and the sound is ok. The sound is ok even if I use options “-f” and “-r” with different higher sample rates.
I am here to give any additional info . Thanks

More investigation and maybe solution.
After seeing that Volumio is using the command “/usr/bin/sox -q -t alsa hw:2,0 -t alsa volumio” to play the input from “Hifime S2 digi” (resulting in sound distortion) I tried “/usr/bin/sox -q -r 44100 -t alsa hw:2,0 -t alsa volumio” from command line and sound is OK .

How to enable this sox “-r” option in Volumio ?

Hope I am wrong , but after browsing the forum posts and Volumio source code it looks like by design there is no way to set the incoming sample rate from an input sound card as DAW application do.
Only way to have it working is by using the alsa-aloop driver and writing the related plugin.