Getting tracks onto Volumio

Hi all, I was just wondering what the various methods for getting tracks on to Volumio are, if I have Volumio on a separate server.

I know there’s an automatic sync, and so I had thought about installing an instance of volumio on my mac, but I don’t think that app is available any more. I’m trying to avoid trying to set up some kind of manual thing myself.

Am I missing something really simple here? Or do I just have to find a way of transferring them over ftp / ssh or something like that then rebuilding the volumio library?

1 Like

Hi. Can you give full details of your setup, especially what Volumio is installed on and how your media is connected.

1 Like

Sure, it’s very simple at the moment. I just have a raspberry pi and the music is stored on that. I don’t have a NAS or anything like that yet - my music collection is pretty small for the time being.

I am open to changing it though if there’s a good reason to do so.

If your media files are on your SD card, then you can use a tool like Filezilla and connect via SFTP. Media files are stored in
/data/INTERNAL

If you’re using a USB storage drive on your Pi those files can be acceesed in the /media directory, also using SFTP.

You first need to enable ssh on your Pi via the ‘dev’ page: Open Volumio in your browser and change the URL from
volumioaddrress/playback
to
volumioaddress/dev

1 Like

Thanks - I have been using methods like this. I guess I wondered if there was some kind of plugin or feature in Volumio that would do it through the GUI or automatically without having to fiddle around.

But this is helpful - there are a few things in here I hadn’t thought of that will definitely make it quicker.

A while back I went from locally connected USB drive to a simple, Pi based Samba NAS. Since then I can access the media directories from my PC and that’s a lot quicker to manage.

SMTP works well though, especially if your library is still not too large.

This discussion might be helpful.

I found the easiest way to add music to the local directory on a raspberry pi is to simply put the micro-ssd card into my PC then drag and drop o to the INTERNAL folder.

Yes, SimonE has the right solution and while it is gui-based, it does require a little network knowledge.

I have over 600GB of music on a Synology DS416Play and access over the local network via NFS share. Controlling the pi3 via their app on my phone works like a charm. It was set up via GUI on both ends.

I’m on a PC, but here’s my approach. I use WinSCP to sync my local music folder with the external drive attached to my Pi. Whenever I make tweaks (usually I find nomenclature inconsistencies and run Mp3tag) or add new pieces, I run WinSCP. I’m sure there’s a similar tool for IOS environment.

Just get a 2tb 2.5" SSD and plug it into the USB on the Raspberry pi (this is why I do for all my FLAC albums).
Anything bigger would need to add additional power , like for mechanical HDD etc.

You can then browse over the network and update/copy files to etc.

I don’t have a nas ($$) but guess you could use this similar to one as a music server (which is the point of volumio and I found it much easier than other upnp services or leaving a PC on).

\volumio.local I think

Thanks for all your help with this. I’ll try a few of these solutions.

The one thing I’m still a little confused on is the “automatic sync” feature - I know that transfers playlists and such between instances of volumio but does it transfer files too? If not how does it know which files to reference?

To answer your last two questions, volumia has a sink and scan library option in the settings so that will look at the attached media on your raspberry pi.

True mate, I could use some sort of windows sync function for directories too, tend to just copy the flat libraries and leave it. Been 10 years since been downloading any albums and stuff - hardly worth the trouble these days if you have title or other musics. Streaming subscriptions.

Just to update - I installed Syncthing and it works perfectly as a way of keeping the files up to date

I’m still intrigued by Volumio’s sync feature and what it does but can’t find anything online about it.

Thanks all!

Sync backs up your Volumio settings, plus (copied from the MyVolumio press release) …

• Automatic syncing and backup of Favourites, Playlists and Webradios (and they do get automatically imported on new installs too!)