Finally, 2 Volumio control apps that work

After switching from Daphile to Volumio I was disheartened by the flaky Android control apps for Volumio after the rock-solid Squeezer app I was using for Daphile. The dedicated Android app for Volumio was incredibly slow, and froze up a lot, and accessing it through the web interface was just as bad. Other apps like MAFA, VolumioControl, M.A.L.P., and Audioward were better, but each had it’s own set of peccadillos.

The first breakthrough I had was to use the Volumio web access, but through the Firefox browser, which made it snappy and reliable, with all the configuration options available to the Volumio app. But Qobuz integration was really poor - specifically you couldn’t search new releases by genre.

This leads to the second breakthrough - loading the Logitech Media Server (Docker Edition) and Squeezelite-MC plugins. This gave me the ability to use Squeezer, with its superior browsing speed, album art integration, and Qobuz integration. The only downside is that you can’t shut off the Volumio server from within the app. I finally have the sound quality of Volumio with the solidity of Squeezer.

5 Likes

I am using the Volumio app (both on Windows and on Android) for almost 1,5 years until now in combination with a Primo and a QNAP NAS. No problems at all so far.

1 Like

Using it from a Windows machine running the Edge browser is fine, it’s when I try to use it with Chrome or Edge (which use the same engine) on Android. The app and the web access hang for a long time on the initial folder listing and when going into a sub folder. I do have a large collection so I may just be asking too much. Under Firefox for Android, or through the Squeezer app using the Logitech Media Server-Docker Edition and Squeezelite MC plugins, everything is snappy and responsive. As I mentioned, the Qobuz app is better supported through the Squeezer app.

I use on windows Chrome, on Android the Volumio app.
My collection is on a USB 3 SSD and contains +50.000 tracks (52.031), +2 TB. Volumio is running on a Raspberry PI 4, latest version. Peppymeter plugin with modified skins.
No issues whatsoever. Both the browser and the app are very snappy.

I suppose it is a network issue.

Do you guys have cover pictures attached to your music files - either a jpg in the same folder or as a tag? I have both, in combination with MP3, FLAC, WMA, OPUS, and DSF format files. The Volumio app ignores pictures in tags, while the Squeezer app displays them, and both display pictures stored in the same folder as the music files. I’m wondering if there isn’t a problem with caching those image files.

Switching between music control apps can be a real rollercoaster ride, huh? Reminds me of when I was on the hunt for apps to get money fast, navigating through a sea of options to find the best fit.