External HDD not mounting properly

Hi all .
Can’t tell if it is a Volumio or raspberry problem but any help appreciated .
I have an old pi 3B + running volumio 3.659 I have so far failed to connect properly tfour external HDD drives . I’ve tried connecting them directly , through passive and powered hubs . A certain drive had even its own power supply . No luck . The files will not appear . At the moment I 'm having a verbatim 500 GB HDD through a powered hub and a usb stick directly connected to a pi usb port . The Verbatim mounts on /loop/static and not media as it is supposed to be . Therefor the music will not appear on Volumio . The music on the stick appears fine . The problem remains even if I plug the HDD directly . The HDD doesn’t have a power source but the active leds turns on showing the pi can drive it . Any ideas ?

volumio@volumio:~$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 08bb:2902 Texas Instruments PCM2902 Audio Codec
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 248a:8368 Maxxter
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 1908:0226 GEMBIRD
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 214b:7250
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMC9514 Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
volumio@volumio:~$ lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
loop0 7:0 0 469.8M 0 loop /static
sda 8:0 1 58.2G 0 disk
-sda1 8:1 1 58.2G 0 part /media/1719-2206 mmcblk0 179:0 0 29.1G 0 disk |-mmcblk0p1 179:1 0 91.6M 0 part /boot |-mmcblk0p2 179:2 0 2.5G 0 part /imgpart -mmcblk0p3 179:3 0 26.5G 0 part
volumio@volumio:~$

Had a second look and noticed that this 469.8M 0 loop /static is not my HDD . Even if I disconnect the disk , I get the same results . So the actual problem is that the raspberry/volumio doesn’t recognise my drive at all . Through a powered hub or not . Any ideas ? Would hate to buy another external only to find out that this can’t also be recognised …

I have just attached, via USB, a 500gb to my RPi with a HiFiBerry Digi 2 Pro HAT.
Volumio will not "see’ the drive as a Source if I click Add New Drive.
However, going from the Volumio home screen to My Music, Volumio sees the drive and I can access and play the music files on the drive.
The 500gb drive is a Samsung SSD 840 Evo. If your HDD is mechanical it may not have sufficient power.

Hi Jazz .
The add new drive option is for network storage .
For usb directly connected devices , you should be able to directly see the contend on the Browse Folder Icon and then something like USB/…
Unfortunatelly I don’t see this . And it’s because the pi doesn’t see the HDD at all . It’s not listed on devices . Power supply can’t be an issue because I use a powered hub and the drive lights up (operantional) . So it’s a matter of connectivity I guess .

I experienced this with one particular 3.5” (powered) connector - it would not work either through a hub or directly connected to a USB port on the RPi (3b+). So it could be the particular drive, or it could be the SATA-to-USB converter you have. Maybe?

you could try with RaspiOS, to verify if it’s a hardware problem with your combination of RPi and HDD

No adapters involved . Usb port Rasp3B+, TYPE-A (3B+) to Type Mini -B cable and the external Verbatim 500 GB HDD .

I could. But the HDD is working with Windows . So damaged hardware is out of the question

Linux is not Windows

1 Like

Still , a broken HDD wouldn’t work in either system . If it works on one , it’s not damaged . But I 'll give it a try with the Raspbian

I didn’t claim the HDD is damaged, but I requested to perform the test with RaspiOS to rule-out a hardware problem of the combination RPi + HDD

It’s a well known fact that the USB ports of the RPi older than 4 are not the best, and sometimes create problems with some USB peripherals

1 Like

@spiros1979
I’m always surprised to see people asking for help, and then rejecting any help from us, community members, moderators and developers, dismissing they know better themselves.
I suggest to let them, we’re not always right and sometimes it takes 2-3 probes to locate the issue.
My suggestion: submit a log so we can see what is happening and take it from there.

1 Like

That is an “adapter,” of sorts. The drive inside is likely still pinned out for SATA, so the external chassis the HDD came in is your “adapter,” just not a discrete piece to be separated from the particular drive. The hardware inside those proprietary chassis don’t always play perfectly across all OS’s, hence why other members suggested you try it on another Linux distro.

It might not be the issue, but it could be.