Digital input HAT options

Hello everyone.

I’m in the process of putting together a RPi running Volumio to use as a versatile and well sounding source for my car. Multiple firends have done this already with great satisfaction so I know it will work. What I would like to do is to use the analog (?) input feature by adding a digital input HAT to my RPi so that I can connect my Crhomecast audio to stream everything I please through its Optical output.

I will clearly have a 4G/LTE router in the car to create a secure network that will be shared by all devices, with a wired connection for the RPi and a Wi-Fi connection for the CCA. Output from the RPi will be via USB connected to something like a Hecate Armature or SMSL PO100 Pro and then on down my audio chain.

I’ve searched the community but was unable to find a definitive list of compatible HATs with a digital input. I’ve found the following possible candidates and would appreciate if anyone could provide definitive feedback on their compatibility with Volumio OS:

• HIFIBERRY DIGI+ I/O
  • HIFIBERRY DAC+ DSP
  • IAN CANADA RECEIVERPI
  • IAN CANADA RECEIVERPI PRO
  • IAN CANADA RECEIVERPI PRO II

Critical listening would most often occur through Volumio’s library, so I don’t want to go overboard on this digital input in terms of cost but I don’t want it to sound poor just for the sake of saving a could of euros… :laughing:
Any help you guys can provide, based on personal experience, would be greatly appreciated. :smiley:

TIA
Stefano (Italy)