Dev enviroment for new GPIO plugin

HI! I am new to the community, and wanted to start developing a plugin to configure GPIO pins to different actions.

I’ve already checked existing plugins, but wanted to build a more versatile plugin, allowing to configure at least 9 pins, i need them for a project I am working on, I am bringing an “Hilo musical” to this century.

Originaly I was using a Raspberry PI 3B+ as it was the hardware I had available. I am considering using a a rasberry Pi 5, as I recently purchased one and thought it could be faster…

I have a few questions for the community:

• What raspberry pi should I use?
  • Since volumio dev does not seem to work, how do you recomend at least having logs? Not sure on how to get logs from the example plugin.
  • How do you recomend interacting with GPIO? Ideally I would need to configure pin number, default state (High, Low), and then beeing able to listen to events for that pin. I am not 100% sure, but seems some of GPIO is done through socketio, but not sure this is the way to go for my specific needs. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks, looking farward to hearing from you and giving back to the community of such an awesome project!