Crashes get more frequent

Hey I love Volumio. I just bought a life time pass because of that - but the crashes get more frequent and for no obvious reason.
What can I do to make it more stable. Should I restart daily. Is there something with my Synology NAS I should do. Is there something in the network. Help me stay sane :slight_smile:
Also I still never got Supersearch to return a single result. Just spins and says no result…

3.512 is really stable. I’d try a different power supply and/or a new SD card. If either are failing they will cause crashes.
Please provide examples of searches which return no results and I’ll try on my systems.

Post a log, maybe we see something that’s causing this to happen.

Hi Jhscann,

i also did afford a lifetime license

Never did have an issue like you described

did you try with:

a fresh installation
another RasPi
another SD card
another power supply

?

Best Regards
Josef

Thanks for the tips. I will try suggestions. Here is the log file: http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/aTj4Gyx.html

The last Supersearch I tried was “grunge from the 90’s” though in the past tried other similar.

The CPU looks a little toasty.

Is that current temperature at idle or is that loaded temperature.
I would do some investigation as to how hot it gets whilst under load.
Heat causes instability

The DAC is a hat. Perhaps that’s why. Fairly typical. Was not under load then.

Thats far too hot for just idle. the upper limit is 85C and as you approach the upper limit the CPU will start to thottle down to try and keep itself cool, this will effect performance.
You should look into trying to cool it down. It can also help with stability

It not an official power supply. Could there be to much juice coming in? Would that cause the over heating?

Do you have a fan installed?

Please let us know specifically what you mean with “crash”.

As for supersearch, I found an interesting entry:
Sep 29 16:53:31 volumio volumio[995]: error: Search in plugin mpd timed out

Can you let me know how many tracks you have ? How many albums?

Thanks

That worked fine, lots of Nirvana, RHCP, Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins!

Hello;

RPI 4b with HAT-DAC without cooling, perhaps still in a closed housing…that won’t run stable in the long term. It needs to be cooled. Either passive, which is more difficult with HAT-DAC…and/or active with a fan. A good 12V fan (Noctua NF-A4x10 FLX), which runs super quietly at 5V, placed on the side works wonders. Air openings on the housing are a prerequisite.

It has nothing to do with the power supply…as long as it’s 5.3V and no more.

1 Like

about 2400 albums, c29K tracks

by crash I mean things can slow down and become unresponsive

When I got the DAC and the case in 2021, it was working fine. Just problems in the last year. In fact when I bought them I asked about cooling and was told the 4B has improved thermal management compared to earlier models so it can handle most tasks without overheating.

forget it - it is still getting too hot wthout cooling if you place it in a closed box

Yes, Josh is correct.
The rPi4 has a max temp of 80-85 degrees, when it’s start throttling. Your device operates close to this margin.
Your log shows 78-79 degrees. Make sure to add a fan, to avoid erratic behaviour.

The software has improved, the demands have increased and with it the computing power and the temperature have also increased.

RPI 4B with improved thermal management…that’s good…

I keep reading that it’s not a problem, cooling cores are unnecessary, nothing happens to the rpi…
That’s true if you take the rest into account…

I disagree, and temperature makes everything age faster.