CIFS share woes

According to the official volumio Help: `NAS drive shares (CIFS & NFS) are easily mounted and scanned by Volumio for audio content.’ If only this were so …

I’ve been trying to reconfigure my setup so that there are three volumio instances on the home network:

1. L: An x86 mini PC with an ethernet connection to the router; all of the music to be shared is stored in /data/INTERNAL on L. The music library is relatively small by contemporary standards – 172G, just over 5000 tracks. The original idea was that it would be exported via CIFS share to the other two volumio instances:

2. K: Raspberry Pi3 connected via wifi.

3. S: Volumio Primo (Asus Tinkerboard) also connected via wifi.

The installation of current volumio on L and the copying of the music library to /data/INTERNAL
on L went as smoothly as you would want. Playback quality is excellent. But I’ve spent the last two days trying to set up the Primo and the Pi3 so that they would have access to the music in /data/INTERNAL on L via network share. It’s been a miserable experience, made worse by the absence of any documentation (as far as I have been able to find).

For both K and S I eventually managed (after many failures) to mount the CIFS share locally using Add New Drive under Sources. And on both K and S I was able to ssh in and see all of the relevant directories mounted locally under /mnt/NAS/. Or apparently so. But then the problems begin.

On S (the Volumio Primo device) after I click Update (under My Music, in Sources) and wait several hours, only about a quarter of those directories (albums) are available in the Music Library. The system just will not add more than 1270 tracks out of the more than 5000 that are
in /data/INTERNAL on L. Furthermore, although ls -la suggests that all of those missing directories are present in /mnt/NAS/ on S, if I cd into one of the directories that is not available in the Music Library, it turns out to be in fact empty. On the Primo, the 1270 track limit seems to be absolute.

On K (the Pi3) the problems are different. On K, if I ssh in and cd to /mnt/NAS/ and do `ls’ I see all of the expected directories and they are all appropriately populated. They are also all available for playing in the Music Library. BUT … most (but not all) of the directories have been re-named in bizarre ways (both as displayed in Music Library and by the ls command when I ssh in). Like this:

S0ONZF~Q (originally: Sean MacErlaine: Selection)
S1VDZ9~0 (originally : Live at the Lugano Festival 2006)
S2LUXS~7 (originally: Síle Denvir Anamnesis)
S390KI~6 (originally: Schubert String Quintet in C)
S3UA7Y~D
S61UPN~6
S7ZI5G~I

Most of the directories (about three quarters) have been renamed in this way, which obviously makes them useless for navigation and finding music.

I’m more than a little embarrassed to be submitting such a strange hodge-podge of problems and asking for help, but that has been this user’s experience over two days and the claim that shares `are easily mounted and scanned by Volumio’ hardly seems right in light of that experience.

My own instinct is to set up L as an NFS exporter instead (a protocol with which I have had no problems in the past) but I worry that the tampering that would be required would make OTA updates impossible afterwards.

I submitted a log (of an attempt to update) here: http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/5K0d3A1.html

If anyone here had any advice or pointers I’d be very grateful.