Audiophonics I2S DAC's I-Sabre ES9023 (two types)

NicOne probably burn V+ pad so connect V+ pin of TCXO in other point.

I bought this TCXO and works and fit perfectly (the audiophonics TCXO seems to be a 0.5 PPM):

ebay.it/itm/331891898772?_tr … EBIDX%3AIT

Ciao
Giovanni

PS
the audiophonics DAC seems to be the same of Teradak
audiophonics.fr/en/diy-dac/a … 11215.html

This is my DAC with the TCXO
mydac.jpg

I am wondering if this is still a critical component for users who have the Kali reclocker.

Experts please comment. [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Probably with Kali and Sabre DAC you must change the R1 position to external clock but, Kaly costs € 67,00 instead TCXO that costs € 18,00 and i am sure that works good.

Other DACs that don’t have a source clock on board, surely take advantage of Kali

Can you give us a hint where to get the board for ~8 EUR?

See this link:
ebay.com/itm/Audiophonics-DA … SwEzxYPonx

I am wondering :smiley: ! Why you still use Raspberry?
The ODROID-C2 is a very solid competitor to the Raspberry Pi model 3 B, and is anywhere from 2-10x faster than the Pi 3, depending on the operation. It’s network performance, CPU performance, and 2 GB of RAM are extremely strong points if you thirst for better throughput.
Use anybody Odroid C2/C1+ with DAC’s I-Sabre ES9023 yet?
See link
forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=118&t=15741

Sabre I2S DAC ES9023 Analog to 24bit / 192kHz ,It can be accessed by synchronous / asynchronous clock
Value converter unbeatable price and offering direct analog outputs, this module is ideal for all DIY projects.
Equipped with the now famous ES9023 SABRE (U-equipping our SABRE), Ultra low noise regulator “ON” and OS-CON capacitor DAC that offers you a rich musical and sound micro details.
Its high versatility enables it to be used directly at the output of a PI Raspberry via the GPIO.
ES9023 internal use patented ultra-line stream (Hyperstream) architecture and Time Domain Jitter technology, so that it can achieve jitter-free recording level of sound quality, dynamic range up to 112dB.
Board making simple, the entire board is free of debugging. Buy kits can not plug the wrong sound normally open.
Features:
Input: I2S
Output: RCA
Sampling rates supported: 16 / 24bit 192 khz
delivered Connectors
Remote connections: 29cm
RCA distance: 20mm
Spacing: 40 x 32mm
PCB Size: 50 x 42mm
I2S input wiring:
Orange: MCLK
Yellow: GND
White: DATA
Red: LRCK
Black: BCK
power input:
Black: GND
Red: + 5V
Package Included:
1x 2Pin cable
1x 5pin cable
1x Audiophonics I2S DAC ES9023 Sabre Analog to 24bit / 192kHz

Will it matter or what would change if we get a much more Mhz crystal like 240 MHz?

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi

I have Sabre I2S DAC ES9023 Analog to 24bit / 192kHz working very well with the following pinout matching to the raspberry pi 1 (yes, using this b/c I had it lying around spare). Love Volumio!!

In volumio I am using the “Hifiberry DAC” as playback.

• BCK pin 12 (GPIO 18 / CLK)
  • LRCK pin 35 (GPIO 19 / PCM)
  • Data pin 40 (GPIO 21/ DOUT)
  • GND - any ground
  • MCLK - any ground

Let me help with these cards, as I have been reading a lot about this, navigating oceans of BS and some very helpful information.

all AUDIOPHONICS DACS I-SABRE ES9023 have the TCXO 0.5ppm clocks and the ES9023 DAC Chip.

v1 has side RCA connector no external screen connectors and optional 5v input with two pin onboard XHP connector. 51Euros
audiophonics.fr/en/diy-dac/a … 10296.html

v2. has back RCA (on top of RASPIs USB and LAN) no external screen connectors and optional 5v input with two pin onboard XHP connector and optional DC Jack for 5 volt DC. 52Euros
audiophonics.fr/en/diy-dac/a … 10176.html

v2.1 has back RCA (on top of RASPIs USB and LAN) WITH external screen connectors and optional 5v input via a special 10pin connector (ATX PSU compatible apparently?) and optional DC Jack for 5 volt DC. 65Euros
audiophonics.fr/en/diy-dac/a … 11917.html

v3 has back RCA (on top of RASPIs USB and LAN) WITH external screen connectors and MANDATORY external 6-7.5v input via DC Jack. This comes as a result of a new presumably better LDO regulator (converts 6/7v to 5v for Raspi power and 3.3 v for the DAC). 76Euros
audiophonics.fr/en/diy-dac/a … 10657.html

I suggest you see this review from a reputable source (not God but clearly knowledgeable and impartial)
youtube.com/watch?v=znJ67VzzlSY

He makes an important point. The DAC converts 0/1 to a 2v signal that our amp will amplify to feed our speakers. If the power supplied to the DAC is shaky that 2v signal produced by the DAC will be bad. So this is why all the “HiFi” DACs have optional (KALI - I Sabre v1 v2 v2.1 - HiFi Berry - Mambo Berry LS DAC+) or mandatory external power connector (I Sabre v3 - Mamboberry HiFi DAC+ [discontinued]). In all cases you only need one power source, the card will feed the Raspi the 5v it needs.

I am not decided yet, but to help others, if you will/or want to spend money on a power supply, i.e. linear power supply or a Ifi wall PSU (volumio.org/product/ifi-ipower/) then v2 should do. If you want to plug chinese wall PSU then it should make sense to spend money on the v3 and presumably better LDO.

I am decided on audiophonics, because the KALI people (a major source of snakeoil salesmanship) convinced me on the importance of a good clock to get accurate sampling of the audio, which the Raspi can not provide. They take the route of 2 clocks (1 for 44.1khz [i.e. CD audio] and one for 48khz modern recordings) resample, buffer and feed the DAC board.

Look at their two clocks

The audiophonics take the one clock route. Look at their clock.

Obviously the Audiophonics is more accurate, I do not know by how much, Kali doesn’t give these details, but the TCXO clock misses 1 beat every 2 million (0.5ppm). Regular crystal oscillator move in the 10 - 100ppm range. So although you can’t produce exactly 44.1khz with a 50Khz clock, with clock multipliers you can get better accuracy than with two clocks with higher ppm.

This is my contribution as a “Sunday morning expert” that wants to help other fellow Sunday morning expert get the best bang for their hard earned bucks.

mmm let me add my 2 cents here.

First Audiophonics make great hardware. I am a good friend with the founder of the company and kudos for great hardware they are making.

However the post is about clocks. Let me explain the diffrence betwen ppm and jitter.

You see PPM is the long term drift accuracy of the clocks. In audio , we dont care at all about long term (or more precisely it needs to be below 100ppm)

The only thing we care…is jitter. The analog wave is directly made from the clocks taking points every second and approximating the analog output from it (44Khz is 44.000 sampled points per second)

Now jitter…when you have those points that were taken every 40ns (lets say)… jitter will mean that one pint is at 44ns and another at 36ns.You see , how can we make an accurate analog waveform when the points are different than sampled sound ??

It gets more complicated though…its not the jitter…its the phase noise.

Please read this excellent whitepaper by Mr Rutgers . [by-rutgers.nl/PDFiles/Audio%20Jitter.pdf](https://www.by-rutgers.nl/PDFiles/Audio%20Jitter.pdf)  (especially the PPM and Phase noise)

So this comments on (Snake oil salesmanship) and such are incorrect. Its math.

At last one more thing on the ESS sabre generally. When you have only one clock for both 44/48Khz audio files…what you do is re sample the file. Its called ASRC. Its not bit perfect but an approximation designed to eliminate jitter (and folks at ess sabre are very good on this). However me personally (and prob others) we care about bit perfect.

My 2c.