AUDIOPHONICS DAC I-Sabre ES9038Q2M OLED Rotary Encoder

Hi, no, i use it how is exactly from producer, rotary is connected to port on card (see images above), hard to say which GPIO it uses, i think there is some internal process. Is there a way how to find GPIO info ? I bought everything together from Audiophonics.

Thanks Ed

Ah, i understand - you use the connector on the Audiophonics board.
You could ask at Audiophonics. I also don’t know the pinout.

1 Like

And i suppose it should work without any fixes

ok nice :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi, yes i know about it, i got already crossed cable, everything is original except oled, this is my own, but this seems be ok, i see info.
I already contacted Audiophonics help desk, they asked for images, i will keep you informed
Update : i changed wiring for OLED, nothing helps, i would like to know why must be display present if i want to use encoder.

Solved ! Problem is me, because i just trusted that cable and connector they provide are correct, of course not.
If you will look to board last pin is marked as RMT, but on Encoder is it … GND, so i have to create my own cable to put last pin to GND.
Now i have another problem, now volume goes always down, doesnt matter if i turn left or right. I have to investigate if is possible to override their settings and use Rotary encoder plugin.
Colleagues, many thanks for all your effort and time
Eduard

I don’t think the display is required for the rotary encoder to work.
It seems the display and rotary encoder processing is done by the microprocessoron the board.
Maybe the original Audiophonics display has an other I2C address than the cheap one (3c) and therefore doesn’t work. Ask Audiophonics.

Yes, the documentation is really poor, but usually they help at Audiophonics
support@audiophonics.fr

br
Josef

1 Like

I will try to do few tests and then i can wire it myself directly on GPIO pins (I have to solder them) and if not i can survive even without encoder. Thanks Josef for all your help.

Ed

I consider to order this one just to find out their (secret) I2C address of the display.
Anyway if it differs from 3C there is not much to fix if it is hardcoded in their microprocessor.
There are also differences with different rotary encoders :slight_smile:
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/selector-sources-module/input-selector-volume-control-board-with-screen-for-i-sabre-es9038q2m-p-15150.html
15150-module-source-volume-inpage1

Josef

1 Like

I saw it, but i dont want to invest too much to find that it is hardcoded somewhere inside, i will survive without it.

Anyway it is something worth to find out i think. You made me “hot” for it.
I will ask them for support on that before i eventually buy it.

With a little soldering you could use Saiyato’s Rotary Encoder plugin and supercrab’s (+ Adrii) display plugin to make your devices work.

Yes, but hard to say which pins i can use.

For the display it is easy - use GPIO2 and GPIO3 (PIN 3 and 5) for I2C
I also use the “cheap” display. It has I2C address 3C but supercrab’s plugin let’s you check for that.

The encoder - i can tell you on Saturday how i did it - i do not have the device here and unfortunately no docu on it, but it’s working very reliable with the 100nF capacitors in place like described on Saiyato’s github page.

You may also find this interesting:

Many thanks Josh, but i removed it all and will let it naked, i bought this for easy use and dont want torture myself with another tweaks, i have something better

1 Like

Oh nice - sure an OLED display won’t fit that retro style :slight_smile:

1 Like

But now i have new info from Audiophonics help, it is possible to use this another connector, but only for SPI displays.

Ed

Interesting - but what “another connector” do you mean ? - the 40PIN ?
I don’t see any SPI connector on the DAC board.

Did you also ask for the I2C address of their OLED displays ?

Josef

Yes, please see yellow frame in image, and another interesting thing, they write rotary encoder works only with OLED screen, not true it works pretty alone as well

Ed

See my first assembly

Can you explain what you did there…

1 Like

Yes, this was assembly first version, Raspberry Pi + Audiophonics DAC I-Sabre + Audiophonics power module, then i added driver for analog VU meter. Also Audiophonics rotary encoder is visible.
In 2-nd version I replaced analog VU with 4" LCD driven by peppymeter, I also replaced rotary encoder with IR remote control. See image below