3.616 breaks network file share completely

3.616 turned out to be the update of death for anyone wanting to play files from a network share.

Things fell apart pretty quickly after the update. It’s been awhile since a Volumio update caused this much chaos so I assumed that maybe the SD card had gone bad, so I tried two other new ones and even a different PI. The issue persisted.

The exact issue is that everything about playing files from a network share is broken. The files are SOMETIMES playable when I first start updating my library, but at some point, and sometimes right out of the starting gate, trying to play a file causes the player to reset.

Just to be thorough I tried an older version of Volumio from about a year ago and everything worked as expected. I would just stick with that version, but I do like the recent improvements to the Tidal functionality, and since I’m stuck paying through the nose to have that functionality, I would like to have the best version of it.

As a final test I started with the older version of Volumio which had a fully loaded library from my network share working flawlessly and updated to 3.616…and it broke. After the update, my entire library except one folder disappeared and attempting to play anything from that one remaining folder caused the player to reset.

I know that you poo poo on the idea of using older versions of Volumio, but you really should make at least the VERY last version available in case something like this happens.

Enable test mode and update to version 3.629, then check if your issue is solved.

Use beta version 3.631 (volumio.local/dev) and press beta version

3.631…" * UNSTABLE ALPHA BUILD - DO NOT INSTALL"

I ignored that advice and tried it anyway out of desperation, and it also has the issue.

impossible. Don’t do a rescan, just update
This is what it looks like on one of my installations

again, complaining without providing a system log is not helpful at all to understand the root-cause of your problem

I submitted a bug report. In the meantime I’m going to use 3.546. I think these was at least one version between this version an the current version. I don’t know when the Tidal rewrite happened, but Tidal seems to work okay and it doesn’t choke when I try to play something from my network.

Every other feature that requires a subscription is already available for free in Moode, just not Tidal Connect. Locking the Tidal Connect feature behind a subscription that costs 25% as much as Netflix seems a little greedy. There will be a free way to do this on Raspberry Pi based players sooner or later. Enjoy the hostage loyalty while it lasts. It won’t be forever.

Can you kindly post the link to the debug log you have created?

I submitted the report and received a confirmation email. I didn’t write down the number. Either it gets fixed or it doesn’t. I will test new versions periodically to see if the issue ever gets resolved. In the meantime I will be more cautious about updates. I thought we were past the whole catastrophic failure from an update, but apparently not.

I still think the lack of previous versions to go back to is arrogant and asinine, but what do I know?

the link of the log must be pasted here, otherwise it’s impossible to find your log among the other logs submitted by other people

I believe @thisisjay decided only to complain and not to contribute in any way to get his problem solved. He’s fine with the problem not being taken serious.

@DED from tech support forwarded me the link of your log.

analyzing your log, the problem might be caused by some corrupted .cue files.
the latest version of MPD is more sensitive to this kind of problems.
We are working to fix this problem with cue files, a new test-image with the fix should be ready in a couple of days.

Thank you for looking into this. You are correct. I deleted all of the .cue files and all is well in the newer version. I only had the .cue files because I was experimenting with PC based players.

Sorry for the attitude. Now I know that a process exists, I’ll start following it.

no problem, good that you solved it!

Edited by moderator

Off-topic and posts un-related to Volumio are considered spam and therefore removed.

Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately even if it sounded as good or even better than the Digione/ Gustard x26 combo, it would make the audio system less accessible for some members of my household as the input on the amp or DAC would have to be changed to use streaming.

Having a seamless experience between using local FLAC files and Tidal Connect is what keep me paying Volumio’s freemium price. Won’t be that way forever, but I’m stuck with it for now.