What Amp are you using?

I am very happy owner of Hypex nCore amplifier.
My expensive BAT Pre / Power Amps have been replaced with Hypex nCore 400 Power Amp and I never regret it!
1.jpg
2.JPG
3.JPG

Preamp: Bel Canto c5i
Amp: Bel Canto REF500S II

There is a 60 wpc amp in the c5i and it really doesn’t control the bass that well. The REF500 really grabs hold of the bass drivers: much higher damping factor. The speakers are sealed box (NHT 2.3a) and the roll-off should be 6dB/octave down low, but the c5i amp doesn’t handle that too well.

Pi 3+ Allo Digione

(Chord Digital Signature)

Marantz AV9000

(Monster THX Ultra cables)

Parasound HCA-1205a

Raspberry pi 4
Audiophonics linear PSU
Audioquest dragonfly red
Sony str DN 1070
Q acoustics concept 40 front
Q acoustics concept 20 rear
Bk electronics (English) sub amp
Rockford fosgate p1 15 inch subwoofer
And it sounds great :smiley:

I recently compared my TPA3255 based Class-D Amp with a Jean Hiraga Class A Amp. The vocals sounded much better, and the whole music was effortless from the JH. Want to build it now.

Cambridge Audio CXA80
It has an integrated DAC ,Wolfson WM8740.
It works out of the box with Volumio on Raspberry Pi, using the async USB input of the amplifier.
It supports both PCM (up to 24/192) and DSD 64.

This is what I’m using atm:

RPi3 and HifiBerry Dac+
Logitech Z623
Sony STR-DN1060
Argon 5.1 Hifi Speakers

I’m pleased with my configuration so far but I would like to lay my hands on B&W speakers sometime in the near future :smiley:

Volumio primo
Amp: SMSL AD18

Speakers: Teufel Ultima 40 Mk2

The sound is wonderfull in this config
7BC3746E-0E97-404D-A072-6B0EA929366F.jpeg

Hi,

in the kitchen, I use a RPi3+ with Hifiberry DAC+ and Linn Classik Movie, powering a subwoofer-sat-system from Visaton.

In the dining room, a RPi3+ with Hifiberry AMP2 (and an old Dell Notebook S-PSU) and KEF KHT-2005 “Eggs” with subwoofer.

Both systems are sufficient for background music or cooking with extractor fan :smiley:

Are you satisfied with the power and handling of the SMSL? I thought about it, too.

Allo Volt+.
As cheap as possibel is my life.
I loose interest if it’s not DIY, my hobby.
And Khadas Tone Dav is a nice bargain.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

If you want cheap I can highly recommend grabbing an old car stereo which I’ve gotten anywhere from free to $50 CAD. If you have a 12V power supply you’re in business, otherwise there are lots of cheap/free options like an old PC or Xbox supply.
Here is an example I jammed into the enclosure of an old DVD player my neighbor gave me. It has an aux input and is playing great from Volumio, and has CD and FM radio too.
20181227_164908.jpg

+1 on the Volt+, it’s much cheaper than most of its competitors while still managing to have impressive performances for the price, I cheaped out and lucked out on that one :laughing:

I had follow this since 2013.
TPA3116 and it’s a nice chip.
Cheap and good.
diyaudio.com/forums/class-d … 2-amp.html
Many makers of this chip that sounds good.

Pioneer VSX receiver with 5.1 surround and an Inno-Maker DAC. HDMI to an old 55 inch plasma display and a wireless mouse. Sound is sweet and looks gorgeous. :smiley:

For anyone on a budget, I put together the following TPA3116 based amp (2x50W) for around 11 euros (<6 for the amplifier, <5 for the aluminium case, <1 for the speaker cable clips), and I am very happy with it. It is powered by an old laptop power supply, and is attached to 6 ohm speakers from a 90s hifi system.

IMG_3852.JPG
IMG_3853.JPG

Adrian.

The system in the living area is a RPi3B+ pulling content from an internal 512 GB microsd or QNAP NAS and sending it out through a Khadas Tone Board and on to a Echo Link preamp to a Parasound zAmp v3 and playing through a pair of KEF Q150 speakers. Sounds fine but for aesthetic reasons my wife insists n having the speakers at either end of the built-in cabinets so imaging is wonky. But since it’s not a serious listening setup I grin and bear it.

The patio system is an RPi3B+ with a Allo Boss DAC pulling content via wifi connection from a QNAP NAS and out to an AudioSource amp with a volume pot and a pair of Yamaha outdoor speakers. Does a fine job providing music for BBQ sessions and the follow-on Bourbon and Cigar on the deck after the meal.

I am putting together a touchscreen Volumio setup for my dad with an RPi 3B+ and internal storage for use in his garage hangout. He has an old JVC receiver and a pair of mid-70’s Avid 102 speakers.

Livingroom NAD C 658 - NAD 218THX
Kitchen NAD C368

Rotel RA-1572, really happy with it although it runs hot. It powers my B&W 703 nicely, and it has USB-in which I use with an Allo USBridge.
Quite happy with this setup.

Hi,

I’m using a Volumio Primo connected via SPDIF/COAX to a Class D Amp (more of a POWER DAC :slight_smile:) Lyngdorf TDAi2200 equiped with Room Perfect (acoustic correction software), powering my B&Ws 805S. Also use a Yamaha YST-SW150 subwoofer.

Love this setup and Volumio Primo made a great entrance on it :slight_smile: :grin: