Volumio x86 + PeppyMeter

It’s difficult to find what’s going wrong. The difference to raspberry is the graphic card. Maybe you don’t use the vc4 overlay driver in config or userconfig.
I’ll speak with peppy player about this problem.

For the Dell Wyse:

volumio@volumiox86:~$ lspci -k | grep -EA3 'VGA|3D|Display'
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series PCI Configuration Registers (rev 36)
        Subsystem: Dell Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series PCI Configuration Registers
        Kernel driver in use: i915
        Kernel modules: i915

Same command of one of the working Dell’s:

volumio@volumio-x86-dev:~$ lspci -k | grep -EA3 'VGA|3D|Display'
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Stoney [Radeon R2/R3/R4/R5 Graphics] (rev eb)
        Subsystem: Dell Stoney [Radeon R2/R3/R4/R5 Graphics]
        Kernel driver in use: amdgpu
        Kernel modules: amdgpu

Many thanks. This plugin is awesome and your support and help, awesome.

With @Gelo5 , for the skins this is an outsounding outcome!

Thanks!

I installed Peppymeter as explained here Volumio x86 + PeppyMeter - #30 by Wheaten but nothing happens when I play music. After posting the picture, you will see the configuration and the volume in question. A few months ago I installed it and everything was working fine, now when I had to reinstall the system it doesn’t work. If possible, a little help.

I am not sure if Peppy will still run on x86 devices.
I think you need to perform a full manual install, which breaks the Volumio intergration.

@2aCD
Any idea if the x86 users still have a way to use peppy?

volumio@volumio-dell-touch:~/scripts$ sudo bash peppy.sh
volumio_peppymeter.py is not running. Starting run_peppymeter.sh...
volumio@volumio-dell-touch:~/scripts$ pygame 1.9.4.post1
Hello from the pygame community. https://www.pygame.org/contribute.html
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/configparser.py", line 788, in get
    value = d[option]
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/collections/__init__.py", line 914, in __getitem__
    return self.__missing__(key)            # support subclasses that define __missing__
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/collections/__init__.py", line 906, in __missing__
    raise KeyError(key)
KeyError: 'meter.size'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "volumio_peppymeter.py", line 97, in <module>
    parser = Volumio_ConfigFileParser(pm.util.meter_config[BASE_PATH])
  File "/home/volumio/PeppyMeter/volumio_configfileparser.py", line 76, in __init__
    meter_size = c.get(CURRENT, METER_SIZE)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/configparser.py", line 791, in get
    raise NoOptionError(option, section)
configparser.NoOptionError: No option 'meter.size' in section: 'current'

In 12 months of last year, everything worked great, as you can see in this video that I posted on YouTube. https://youtu.be/ulHCd63ZE_g
But this year I changed the hdd, installed the ssd and reinstalled the system and added the lcd touch screen, so yesterday I tried to install Peppymeter and it won’t work.

LCD Touch screen is not needed on a x86??

I know, but I wanted to put it so that I don’t have to turn on the big TV and I put the whole x86 system in the HIFI box.

Hi @Wheaten, are you shure this is the latest configfilparser?
meter.size isn’t an config entry since peppy.player give us the possibility to change the template folder outside program path.

@2aCD
Not sure it’s taken from the link in post 30:
wget https://community.volumio.com/uploads/short-url/bUZ6KlbUuyCPgvwLmsLytLhUzw.zip

Not sure if we can use the current from posting 7, as that one got the debs for pygame, based on the rPi?

You can only use the link from post7. An older version matched not with the downloaded peppymeter version.
If not a raspberry detect, the installer download an pygame and use not the precompiled pygame2.
But I don’t know, which version on a x86 is downloaded. The best way is to use a 1.9 pygame on a not pi hardware.

Currently I’ve taken peppy_screensaver_1.4.2.

sudo apt update
sudo apt-get -y install binutils build-essential python3-pip python3-pil python3-pygame xinput
sudo python3 -m pip install --upgrade pip setuptools wheel
sudo python3 -m pip install cairosvg socketIO-client

cd ~
wget https://github.com/2aCD-creator/volumio-plugins/raw/gh-pages/plugins/volumio/armhf/user_interface/peppy_screensaver/peppy_screensaver_1.4.2.zip
miniunzip peppy_screensaver_1.4.2.zip -d ./
rm peppy_screensaver_1.4.2.zip
cd peppy_screensaver
volumio plugin install

It won’t start automatically, but it’ running. using:

#!/bin/bash

# Check if volumio_peppymeter.py is running
if pgrep -f "volumio_peppymeter.py" >/dev/null; then
    # If it's running, kill both volumio_peppymeter.py and run_peppymeter.sh processes
    echo "volumio_peppymeter.py is running. Killing processes..."
    pkill -f "run_peppymeter.sh"
    pkill -f "volumio_peppymeter.py"
  # rm /tmp/peppyrunning
else
    # If it's not running, start run_peppymeter.sh
    echo "volumio_peppymeter.py is not running. Starting run_peppymeter.sh..."
    XAUTHORITY=~volumio/.Xauthority /data/plugins/user_interface/peppy_screensaver/peppymeter/run_peppymeter.sh &
fi

But this is where it ends for me.
As it’s just keep on tailoring to keep it working.

Sorry

I installed Peppymeter as explained here Volumio x86 + PeppyMeter - #30 by Wheaten but nothing happens when I play music. After posting the picture, you will see the configuration and the volume in question. A few months ago I installed it and everything was working fine, now when I had to reinstall the system it doesn’t work. If possible, a little help.
A couple of months ago, the soup was working, but due to the insertion of the ssd disk and the reinstallation of Peppymeter, it no longer works. I’ll post a youtube link so you can see it worked properly before.
https://youtu.be/ulHCd63ZE_g

euh…

Keep in mind, Peppy plugin was built for the rPi. With some tinkering @dromichet got it working on a x-86. My previous post I also got it working, but needed some side steps. For that reason I can’t support it anymore.

When I do as you wrote, my system immediately slows down and I have no sound

maybe the AMD C-70 @ 1.00 GHz 1 Processor, 2 Cores can’t handle the workload. But this is just a guestimate

Hello, i’ve installed the peppymeter plugin on a X86 Dell desktop following GELO5 guide for raspberry.
Finally in Volumio there is no configuration available clicking on plugin options. Could someone help me ? Thank you in advance
Flavio

Peppy was never written for the x86 platform, only the rPi.
With previous releases we where able to get it running, but currently it’s failing.
You can follow the instructions from a few post back, V1.42, but no support.

First of all thank you for the guide, It’s very usefull an appreciated. I copied all the lines of the guide onto a fresh installed X86 volumio, but after a reboot my "installed plugin " folder is empty. Is there some command to implement further.
I’ m using a Fujitsu Futro S700

I am no longer supporting this.
Peppy_meter was written for the rPi.
It’s to time consuming to debug and keep it running.

If you rely on Peppy get a raspberry.