Volumio Rivo first impressions

Hi Wheaten - how do I install the m3u_importer plugin on my Rivo? I dont see any option to install plugins other than those listed within the Volumio interface, which does not include that plugin?

Have a look here. I don’t know if it still works with the Rivo, As I don’t have one to test.
Basically it should work as it’s only rewrites it to a format that MPD understands.
You can offcoarse also use “Super search” to generate playlist, based on your “search question”.

Thanks Wheaten.

I really did not expect to have to be using SSH access on this device to add a plugin. But I will go and do that and report back.

I have curated a lot of m3u playlists quite carefully over time and so really dont want to have to start trying to rebuild them via a search function, no matter how smart the search function may be.

You know your also entitled to premium support?

I have enabled SSH and installed the M3U_importer plug in. When I use the plugin I get an error message that
"mnt\Nas\Shared\Music\Playlists does not exist

However, the path Shared\Music\Playlists is correct; my music library path mounted by Rivo is Shared\Music

Thanks for bringing the premium support option to my attention. Should I pursue my issues through that route rather than here?

No for plugin support you need to go to the plugin topic.
See: [PLUGIN] m3u_importer
Community plugins are not for Volumio to support.

1 Like

Wheaten - thanks for your help.

I think potential purchasers of the Rivo should be aware of this.

Personally I regard the ability to import M3u playlists as a basic function for a media player. But here I am dependent on a community developed plugin, which I understand has not been updated for a long time, to undertake this task, I have had to SSH into the unit to install the plugin, and it appears not to work with a valid file path.

I will contact premium support about this as, independently of the third party plug in, there should be some basic guide as to how to make playlists compatible with Volumio so it can recognize them.

This issue with M3u import, combined with not supporting embeded cover art, are not what I expected for an £850 device based on an OS/software platform which has been available for several years.

It really is starting to sound very good as I listen to it though!!!

The playlist and embedded cover art has passed this forum more than I can count.
Volumio supports playlist, but created within Volumio.

For that reason I am using Logitechmediaserver, to deal with playlists and use Volumio as renderer.
For all others I use Volumio.

1 Like

So two questions
(A) why don’t Volumio deal with both issues?
(B) why isn’t the issue more conspicuous on these forums? I did look through them before ordering.

This is silly. We have what seems really good hardware (as best as I can tell), plus a pretty good native audio player app which i would actually like to use. Why don’t Volumio deal with what seem like some pretty minor software issues?

This is a question for @volumio to answer, I am just a moderator.
But basically it comes to resource, demand and stability.

Wheaten - thanks so much for your time and patience. You are doing great job!

1 Like

So now I am trying to use the Rivo outside of the Volumio app.

Rivo appears as an audio device in Tidal, and works without issue.

Rivo does not appears as a upnp/dlna renderer in JRiver (windows) or MconnectHD (IOS).

Installed and enabled the dlna plug in within Volumio - VolumioDLNa appears as a server in JRiver and MconnectHD, but still not as a renderer.

What do I need to do to have Volumio Rivo appear as a DLNA renderer?

Volumio already has a uPnP renderer installed, which is active by default. No plugin needed.

Thanks for pointing out the upnp renderer option to me.

In the app, it was showing as ON. I turned the renderer off and then back on again and now it is appearing as a renderer for other applications to use.

1 Like

Some good news - I got the M3U importer plug-in working. The way it handles the path to your playlists is confusing. But now it is working the playlists are available which is a big step forward.

1 Like

So I have spent quite a lot of time trying to ensure my music library and playlists work with Volumio on the Rivo. I am surprised to keep finding that Volumio requires your files to be organised in quite a specific way to ensure that things will work (cover, playlists, etc.)

Here are the latest two things I have yet to find a workaround - Wheaten can you help?
(a) If you select “Albums” in Volumio from your set of music sources, the albums are not shown in strict alphabetical order mixed across genres, instead each genre is shown in A-Z order followed by the next. Hoe do i get Volumio to just show all the albums in alphabetical order?
(b) In album with various artists, the tracks from the album are not listed in track number order but alphabetically by artist name. How do i get Volumio to show the tracks in track number order?

One of the things that attracted me to the Rivo was the idea that the hardware and software formed an integrated solution. I thought the Volumio would be in more robust shape than it is proving to be given that it has been a OS for Raspberry PI devices etc for years now.

@volumio This is for you to answer.

I just got an email from Davide in Volumio support saying M3U playlists and import are not supported by Volumio.

I am sorry, that is not acceptable. You cannot market a hardware product as a media player with associated library software and just dismiss a widely used playlist format out of hand like that. Say that support is still being worked on, or explain how playlists need to be adapted so they can be imported (the community written plug-in is doing that). But you cannot seriously just dismiss something as important as that.

You might want to try the Jellyfin Server + Jellyfin Client plugins (disclaimer: I am the author of both).

The idea is to let Jellyfin Server index your music, then use the Jellyfin Client to access your music on the server. It provides standard sorting and filtering, so hopefully would meet your needs.

Regarding m3u playlists, although I haven’t tried myself, they seem to be supported in Jellyfin (more here).

If you would like to give this a try, both plugins are installable from the plugin store. Also check the README (server and client) on how to setup (more steps than Volumio, but still pretty straightforward).

1 Like

Hi Patrick - thanks very much for stepping in to help.

I haven’t come across Jellyfin before so I will take a look.

I have to admit, though, that I am not asking Volumio to do anything that should be beyond it. I am not asking files to be served to any other device than the Rivo.